University Building Watercolor and Engraving by A.J. Davis, c. 1833

University Building Watercolor and Engraving by A.J. Davis, c. 1833

NYU’s first permanent home, the University Building, was a neo-Gothic building located on the northeast corner of Washington Square between Waverly and Washington Places. The University’s decision to use stones quarried and chiseled by the convicts at Sing Sing resulted in a riot by local stonecutters in 1834.

< Previous Next >