South Side of Washington Square Mews, Looking East, 1955
(New Sailors' Snug Harbor Properties)

Sailors’ Snug Harbor, the once powerful trust that owned a huge 21-acre swath of the Village east of Fifth Avenue from Washington Square North to Tenth Street, sold the last piece of its property in July 1986. A favorable court ruling had permitted the trust to sell its land in 1976 (by the original terms of the 1801 endowment, the trust could not sell its property), and the trust’s first sale in 1976 was the parcel on which the One Fifth Avenue apartment house stands. NYU currently owns much of the former property in the neighborhood.

< Previous Next >