Entrance to Shimkin Hall

Entrance to Shimkin Hall

Two of the owls that once stood on the cornice of the old Herald Tribune Building surmount the entrance to Shimkin Hall. The original bequest to NYU was made in March 1928 and consisted of the Herald clock, the figures of two bell ringers (affectionately referred to as Stuff and Guff), a statue of Minerva, and 22 owls. The figures, clock, and four of the bronze owls were incorporated into a monument at Herald Square in 1939.

< Previous Next >