Construction of Loeb Student Center, 1952

The University’s motto, “A Private University in the Public Service,” has its origins in NYU’s participation in the Washington Square Southeast Redevelopment Project proposed by Frank L. Howley, Vice Chancellor for University Development in 1953. NYU bid for and purchased the southeast portion of the park for educational rather than commercial use.

< Previous Next >