On the evening of April 18, 1838, Benjamin F. Butler, David Graham, Jr., and William Kent, members of the faculty of the newly established law school, gave inaugural speeches in the chapel of the University Building. In 1835, Butler, the US Attorney General under Martin Van Buren, submitted to the Council a formal plan for a system of legal science. His plan was readily accepted, and he was appointed the principal professor for the new Law School. However, he was forced to postpone his plan to move to New York because of commitments in Washington. Finally, in 1838, he joined Graham and Kent in beginning instruction at the Law School on April 24, 1838.
|< Previous||Next >|