Washington Square Looking North

Washington Square Park, 1930s

In 1870, the current fountain was installed in Washington Square as part of a redesign of the park under Boss Tweed. Hoping to increase the value of his lands to the south of Washington Square Park, Tweed also sent a road through the square, which caused local traffic to block walkways and allowed the fumes of Fifth Avenue buses turning around in the park to fill the air.

< Previous Next >