Studio of John Richards

Studio of John Richards, a tenant in the University Building in the 1890s

NYU rented many of the University Building’s rooms to local artists, adding to the literary and artistic flavor of the Washington Square area. Until its destruction in 1894, tenants of the building included: John Draper, first professor of chemistry at NYU and early pioneer of daguerreotype photography; Henry James, Sr., theologian and father of Henry Jr. and William, major American literary figure and philosopher respectively; the artists Winslow Homer and William Hennessy; Richard M. Hunt and A.J. Davis, architects; Samuel Colt, famous for his revolver; and, from 1841-1857, the New-York Historical Society.

< Previous Next >