Mission
Policies and Procedures
Present and Past Staff
Athletics
Faculty Materials
History of NYU
Student Life
John Brademas
Congressional Papers
Publications
History of Greenwich Village
 
Chancellors and Presidents

Dates of Origin for
NYU Schools

Online Finding Aids
Select Guide to Women's History Collections
Significant Dates in
NYU History
 
NYU and the Village
1968 Revisited
A Window Into the Past: NYU in Retrospect
Timeline of NYU History: 1831-2006
 
Washington Square Image Collection
Greenwich Village
Sports
Student Life
University Publications Covers
Washington Square Arch

 

NYU Divisions and Their Dates of Origin


Winner of the 1929 Summer School watermelon eating contest.

School / Division

College of Arts and Sciences

1831

founded  

1894

moved to University Heights in the Bronx

1903

Collegiate Division opened downtown, became Washington Square College (WSC) in 1914

1973

University College merged with WSC to become Washington Square and University College of Arts and Science

1988

renamed College of Arts and Science

 

School of Law

1835

founded

   

School of Medicine

1841

established as University Medical College

1898

Medical College merged with Bellevue Hospital Medical College to form NYU School of Medicine

 

School of Engineering

1854

founded

1973

merged with Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn to become Polytechnic Institute of New York

 

College of Dentistry

1865

established as New York College of Dentistry

1925

merged with NYU to become NYU College of Dentistry

   

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

1886

founded

 

Steinhardt School of Education

1890

founded as School of Pedagogy

1921

renamed School of Education

1974

renamed School of Education, Health, Nursing, and Arts Professions (SEHNAP)

1994

renamed School of Education

2001

renamed Steinhardt School of Education

2007

renamed Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development

   

Leonard N. Stern School of Business

1900

founded as School of Commerce, Accounts, and Finance

1916

Graduate School of Business Administration (GBA) established

1966

undergraduate college renamed School of Business and Public Administration (BPA)

1988

BPA and GBA merged to become Leonard N. Stern School of Business

 

School of Retailing

1921

founded

1979

closed

 

School of Architecture

1926

founded

1941

closed

 

Institute of Fine Arts

1922

Department of Fine Arts within College of Fine Arts established (undergraduate)

1932

graduate division of department established

1938

department became Institute of Fine Arts

 

 

School of Continuing and Professional Studies

1934

Continuing Education Division established

1954

renamed Division of General Education and Extension Services

1966

renamed School of Continuing Education and Extension Services

1998

renamed School of Continuing and Professional Studies

   

Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences

1934

established as Center for Research and Graduate Education in Mathematics

1946

renamed Institute for Mathematics and Mechanics

1952

renamed Institute of Mathematical Sciences

1966

renamed Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences

   

Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service

1938

established as Graduate Division for Training in Public Service

1948

renamed Graduate Division of Public Service

Oct.
1952

combined with Division of Public Administration to become Graduate Division of Public Administration and Social Service

Dec.
1952

renamed Graduate School of Public Administration and Social Service

1960

joint relationship of Graduate School of Public Administration and Social Service dissolved. Graduate School of Public Administration launched as autonomous school

1989

renamed Robert F. Wagner School of Public Service

 

School of Social Work

1960

joint relationship of Graduate School of Public Administration and Social Service dissolved. Graduate School of Social Work launched as autonomous school.

   

Tisch School of the Arts

1965

Institute for Performing Arts and Institute for Film and Television established within new School of Arts

1982

renamed Tisch School of the Arts

   

Gallatin School for Individualized Study

1972

University Without Walls (UWW) established

1976

Gallatin Division established with UWW as one of its programs

1995

becomes Gallatin School of Individualized Study

   

College of Nursing

2005

moved from the Steinhardt School of Education to the College of Dentistry

 

 

 

 

New York University Archives
Bobst Library, 10th Floor | 70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
tel: 212.998.2646 | fax: 212.995.4070 | email:
nancy.cricco@nyu.edu