Members of the class of 1894 arriving at future
University Heights campus, April 18, 1894

When the University Building on Washington Square was demolished in 1894, members of the graduating class hired a horse-drawn tally-ho and carried some of the stone work and several gargoyles from the old building to the new campus. The wagon, decorated in violet, proceeded up Fifth Avenue en route to their new home overlooking the Harlem River and the Palisades in the Bronx.

< Previous Next >