Southeast corner of Washington Square in 1967

Southeast corner of Washington Square in 1967, now site of Elmer Holmes Bobst Library

In 1949 the city of New York designated the land between Houston Street and West 4th Street, bordered by Mercer Street and 5th Avenue, a slum. The city demolished existing structures and sought bids to reconstruct the neighborhood. NYU bid on the land and eventually built several structures there including the Loeb Student Center (where the Kimmel Center currently stands) and the Elmer Holmes Bobst Library.

< Previous Next >