In 1930, a bronze sculpture of Pan was dedicated in the Minetta Room off the lobby of Hayden Hall on Washington Square West. The sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, would go on to sculpt Mount Rushmore. The statue guards the fountain from which the Minetta Brook once flowed. The underground spring originates at 21st Street and crosses the western portion of Washington Square. Originally known by Native Americans as “Devil’s Water,” the brook was first tapped at the Holley Hotel (now Hayden Hall) for drinking water and until 1985 still trickled into the building.
|< Previous||Next >|