Library in the old University Building

Library in the old University Building, 1894

NYU housed the New-York Historical Society (N-YHS) from 1841 to 1857 in the university’s library room on the second floor of the University Building. NYU and N-YHS combined forces again in 1993, when NYU Libraries assumed oversight responsibility for the N-YHS Library. As part of the agreement, the Dean of Libraries at NYU would oversee the Society’s library services to the public as well as propose joint programs such as a centralized computer catalogue system, book acquisitions, and educational and public outreach programs. As of March 2004, electronic records for the majority of the N-YHS Library's cataloged collections may be found through NYU’s online catalog system, Bobcat.

< Previous Next >