James B. Duke Mansion

The Institute of Fine Arts (IFA), which is ranked first in this country among graduate programs in the history of art, can trace its origins to the founding of the University in 1831 and the painter and inventor Samuel F. B. Morse, who taught the first history of art course in this country. Art history became a dedicated field of study in 1922 when the young scholar-architect Fiske Kimball, who was appointed the Morse Professor of the Literature of the Arts of Design. In 1958, James B. and Doris Duke donated a mansion on the upper east side of Manhattan to the IFA to serve as the Institute's headquarters.

< Previous Next >