Founders Monument at the University Heights Campus

Created at the urging of Chancellor Henry Mitchell MacCracken in 1889, Founders Day was a yearly celebration of the establishment of the University. The first Founders Day was attended by faculty, students, and guests and was held at the Washington Square campus. In 1894, a spire from the old University Building on Washington Square was transported to the University Heights campus and came to be known as the Founders Monument. The monument was rededicated at the Square in 1973 and is currently located in the center of Arnold and Marie Schwartz Plaza off Washington Square South. From the 1950s to the early 2000s, Founders Day was an occasion for honoring outstanding undergraduate students and faculty.

< Previous Next >