Plaque on the west wall of the Silver Center

American Chemical Society plaque at the Silver Center

The American Chemical Society was founded in the old University Building. On the evening of April 6, 1876, 35 chemists met in the lecture room of the College of Pharmacy of the City of New York to create the Society; they elected John W. Draper as its first president. A plaque commemorating this first meeting of the society resides on the exterior west wall of the present Silver Center. The society is still active and has over 158,000 members worldwide.

< Previous Next >