Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content
Click on a photo to see a fact.
Robert Moses

Robert Moses

A Private University in the Public Service

Public Service


Study Abroad

Nursing

Nursing

Bobby Fischer

Bobby Fischer


Sunrise Semester


Women at the Heights Campus

School of Social Work

School of Social Work


John F. Kennedy

Miss NYU

Miss NYU

Carol Heiss

Carol Heiss


Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


James M. Hester

Violet

Violet

Co-Ed Dorms

Co-Ed Dorms

Philip Johnson Plans

Philip Johnson Plans


Rubin Hall

Zucker Building

3-5 Washington Place

Washington Square Village

Washington Square Village

Vietnam War

Vietnam War

Torch Logo

Torch Logo

Board of Trustees

Board of Trustees

Football

Football

Walk Out

Walk Out

Bust of Sylvette

Bust of Sylvette

Institute of Afro-American Affairs

Institute of Afro-American Affairs

Bellevue Hospital

Bellevue Hospital

1951
Jan 1: Council appoints James Loomis Madden acting Chancellor.

Sep 15: Arthur T. Vanderbilt Hall of the School of Law dedicated.

1952
Mar 27: Inauguration of Chancellor Henry Townley Heald.

Institute for Math and Mechanics renamed the Institute of Mathematical Sciences.

Graduate Division of Public Service combined with Division of Public Administration to form the Graduate Division of Public Administration and Social Service, later called the School of Public Administration and Social Service.

1954
Continuing Education Division renamed the Division of General Education and Extension Services.

1956
Office of the President created as the chief administrative post of the university, with the Chancellor retained as chief academic officer.

1957
Apr 5: Hayden Hall dedicated.

Apr 12: Inauguration of President Carroll Vincent Newsom.

Apr 26: La Maison Française, the French Cultural Center, located at 16 Washington Mews, dedicated.

1959
Nov 24: Loeb Student Center dedicated.

1960
Jan 27: Charles Walter Nichols Hall at the Graduate School of Business Administration dedicated.

Sep 1: School of Social Work established initially as a graduate program.

Joint relationship of Graduate School of Public Administration and Social Service dissolved. Graduate School of Public Administration launched as autonomous school.

1961
Institute of Mathematical Sciences renamed Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences.

1962
Oct 25: Inauguration of President James M. Hester.

1963
Nov 17: Joe Weinstein Residence Hall dedicated.

1964
Jun: NYU receives $25 million gift from the Ford Foundation and launches a $100 million development program. Funds are allocated for new buildings, for faculty aid, for student aid, and for educational purposes.

Dec 17: Samuel Rubin International Residence Hall dedicated.

NYU purchases Washington Square Village, a 1,292-apartment development on West 3rd Street.

1965
Mar 29: Warren Weaver Hall, constructed for the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, dedicated.

Sep 1: Tisch School of the Arts created to combine programs in performing arts and communication arts.

1966
Undergraduate business school renamed School of Business and Public Administration.

Division of General Education and Extension Services renamed School of Continuing Education and Extension Services.

1969
May: Afro-American Studies Institute created; four months later it is renamed the Institute of Afro-American Affairs.

Apr: Following the entrance of American troops into Cambodia, and the deaths several days later of four students at Kent State University, classes are suspended to permit students to participate in discussions of issues concerning the war.

NYU embarks on a program to raise $222.5 million within five years, the largest fundraising effort ever undertaken by the university.

1970-1989 >

175 Years Logo

Read "Urban Dream," an article about NYU's history featured in the Spring 2006 NYU Magazine.