Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content
Click on a photo to see a fact.

Emily Kempin

Judson Memorial Church

Judson Memorial Church


Female Law School Graduates

Mary B. Dennis

Mary B. Dennis

Louis Pasteur

Louis Pasteur


World's Fair

Artist Residents

Artist Residents

Heights Campus

Heights Campus


Tally Ho


Main Building


Perstare et Praestare

Student Pranks

Student Pranks


Summer School


Daniel Webster Hering


The Palisades

Hall of Fame for Great Americans

Hall of Fame for Great Americans


St. Louis Exposition


NCAA


Basketball

1890
Mar 3: The School of Pedagogy established.

1891
Jun 1: Henry Mitchell MacCracken, Vice-Chancellor since 1885, becomes sixth Chancellor.

1892
Oct: Debut of the marble Washington Square Arch.

1894
Sep: University College moves from Washington Square to NYU’s new campus at University Heights in the Bronx.

Original University Building at Washington Square East is demolished and replaced by a 10-story commercial building designed by Alfred Zucker.

1896
The University of the City of New-York is renamed New York University.

1898
May 16: The School of Medicine consolidates with Bellevue Hospital Medical College to form the University and Bellevue Hospital Medical College.

1900
Sep 24: School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance established for undergraduate instruction in business.

Hall of Fame at University Heights campus founded.

1903
Establishment of Collegiate Division at Washington Square as a two-year course to provide liberal arts instruction to New York City teachers.

1908
NYU purchases a second large tract of land for the University Heights campus from Gustav Schwab, an agent for the North German Lloyd Steamship Company. The Schwab mansion, built in 1857, ultimately becomes the headquarters of the College of Engineering.

1910-1929 >

175 Years Logo

Read "Urban Dream," an article about NYU's history featured in the Spring 2006 NYU Magazine.