search the site
did you know?
- If you need help after following the setup instructions on this website, you can attend one of ITS' free NYURoam Wireless Workshops for hands-on help. To register, visit the ITS Classes pages.
Microsoft Windows Computers
To find out which wireless card you currently have installed on your Windows computer, you will need to check the Device Manager. The Device Manager is a tool included with Microsoft Windows operating systems that allows you to display and control the hardware attached to the computer.
Device Manager for Windows XP & 2000 Operating Systems
- Windows XP: Open the Start menu, right-click My Computer and select Manage.
- Windows 2000: On the Desktop, right-click My Computer and select Manage.
- On the left side of the "Computer Management" window, select Device Manager.
- On the right side of the window, double-click the Network adapters category.
- The name of your wireless adapter should appear, and there should not be a yellow exclamation point ("!") or a red "x" next to it. The absence of these marks indicates that the adapter is properly installed with the correct drivers and that there are no conflicts.
- If there is a yellow or red problem indicator next to the adapter's icon, you may have to look at your device guide to troubleshoot the problem, or, if the wireless card is built-in to your laptop, contact the manufacturer of the wireless card or laptop.
- If your wireless adapter does not appear, it could mean that it has not been properly installed. Please contact the manufacturer of the wireless card or laptop for further assistance.
Macintosh OS X Computers
Most Macintosh OS X laptop computers now come with a built-in Macintosh Airport Card. To check if your card is installed, you will need to use the System Profiler. The Macintosh System Profiler is a valuable tool for seeing what is attached to and installed in your computer.
System Profiler for Macintosh OS X
- Open the Macintosh menu at the top left of the screen and select About this Mac.
- Click More Info to display the System Profiler window.
- On the left side of the System Profiler window, select the Network category.
- On the right side is a listing of all the network devices currently installed and working on your laptop computer. If an Airport Card is not listed, this either means that you will need to purchase and install an AirPort Card, or (if you already have one) re-install the Card's software in order to use NYURoam.
Page last reviewed: August 19, 2008