search the site
did you know?
- You may register up to two computers for use on the ResNet network. You may also connect your registered computers at any ResNet jack (e.g., in a friend's residence hall room, a ResNet-wired lounge, etc.).
- ITS provides Internet and security software to help you make the most of your connection to NYU's network on the ITS Software page.
You will need to meet the following requirements in order to register for and use ResNet:
- Activated NYUHome service. If you have not already activated your NYU NetID and NYUHome service, go to http://start.nyu.edu and follow the instructions. Click here to learn more about NYUHome.
- Your NYU NetID (usually printed on the back of your NYUCard). If you do not know your NetID, go to http://start.nyu.edu and follow the instructions to determine and activate your NetID.
- Your password you use with your NetID (and NYUHome). If you have not yet set your password by activating your NetID and NYUHome service, follow the instructions at the top of this page. If you have forgotten your password, reset it on the ITS Start page.
- A computer running Windows XP, Vista, or 7, or Macintosh OS X 10.4 or later. Make sure that you have downloaded and installed all available operating system updates and patches for your computer (see Getting Secure for instructions).
- A 10/100 baseT Ethernet card or adapter (with an RJ45 connector) with its drivers installed. If you already own a computer, or if you are purchasing new equipment, check that it has an Ethernet card. If you already own a computer without an Ethernet card, you must have one installed to use ResNet. The NYU Computer Store at 242 Greene Street (www.bookstores.nyu.edu/computer.store) offers reliable Ethernet cards for use with your desktop or laptop computer.
- A 10/100baseT Ethernet cable (also called a Cat5 cable, again with RJ45 connectors) that is long enough to reach from your computer to the wall data jack. We recommend 14-20 feet.
- A recommended web browser. For optimal ResNet and NYUHome access on a Windows computer, we recommend the most recent version of Internet Explorer or Firefox. For Macintosh OS X, Firefox, or Safari. Compliant browsers and other software, such as Symantec/Norton AntiVirus and Ad-Aware, are available through the ITS Software page at http://software.nyu.edu.
- A secure and virus-free computer. ITS provides copies of Symantec AntiVirus for Macintosh and and Symantec Endpoint Protection and Windows Defender for Windows on the ITS Software page. If you have little or no Internet connectivity, or a virus-infected computer that needs to be scanned and cleaned, call ITS Client Services at 1-212-998-3333.
Page last reviewed: August 12, 2010