search the site
- NYUHome Channels
- Adding & Deleting NYUHome Channels
- Hiding & Showing NYUHome Channels
- Arranging Your NYUHome Screen
The Preferences Screen
Clicking on the Preferences button in the upper right-hand corner of your NYUHome screen opens up your current NYUHome preferences.
The Preferences screen is divided into three sections:
1. Your NYUHome Account
In this section, you'll find information about your basic NYUHome settings.
- NetID: Your NetID.
- University ID: Your nine-digit University ID.
- Password last set: The date that your NetID password was last set. Click on the Edit link to change your password.
- Files quota: The amount of space you have for your files.
- Your personal URL: The address of your personal web page.
2. Your Style
In this section, you can modify the way your NYUHome screen appears using different colors and images. Select your choice from the drop-down menu and click the Save button. More styles will be added in the future.
3. Your Email
In this section, you'll find information about your NYUHome email settings.
- Name: Your name as it appears on your outgoing email.
- Mail quota: The amount of space you have for your mail.
- NYUHome addresses: Your full NYUHome email address.
- Personal address: An alternate address which people can use to send you email messages. For information on the Personal email address, see Can I select my own personal email address? in our Frequently Asked Questions section.
- NYU Directory address: The address that appears in the NYU Directory. Note: Student information does not appear unless a student has opted into the Directory. For information on how to set your NYU Directory address, see www.nyu.edu/its/directory/#email.
- Mail forwarding: This will be set to Enabled if you've configured your NYUHome mail to be forwarded to another email account. Otherwise, it will be set to the default, Not Enabled.
- Mail retained on NYUHome: This will be set to Yes if in addition to forwarding your mail, you are also leaving a copy of each mail message in your account. Click on the Edit link to update your mail forwarding settings.
- Vacation message: By default, the Vacation (automatic reply) message is Not Enabled. Click on the Edit link to create and activate the Vacation message. Once you have activated the vacation mechanism, the message will appear in your preferences.
How do I change my NYUHome password?
For instructions on how to change your NYUHome password, see the Your NetID & Password page.
Following are descriptions of some of the most popular NYUHome Channels. To see a full list, log into NYUHome and click the Channels at the top right.
Albert is NYU's online student information system. Log in through this channel without having to retype your NetID/password.
Blackboard is the primary course management software system used by almost every school at the University. Log into your Blackboard courses through this channel without having to retype your NetID/password.
This channel provides you with a list of links to the various NYU Bookstores Web sites.
Use this channel to search the NYU Public Directory. Type in a name to get phone numbers and campus addresses.
E-mail and Calendar
This channel provides access to your NYU E-mail and Calendar, powered by Google. This channel, by default, is always active and cannot be removed from your NYUHome screen.
This channel provides a daily schedule of University events on and around campus. The events listed in the channel are taken from the main NYU Events calendar at http://events.nyu.edu.
This channel contains the File Manager built into NYUHome. You can manage your files through this Web interface. For information on how to use the File Manager, please see the Files FAQs.
A listing of the top finance-related news stories from various online sources.
Get your daily horoscope. Click the Edit button, select your sign from the drop-down list, then click the Save button.
Here you will find various research resources and quick links to NYU Library information pages.
Add shortcuts to your favorite Web sites. Click on the Edit button and enter in the URL of the site(s) and/or the shortcut name to be displayed in the channel. Click the Save button.
A current list of NYU Lists to which you're subscribed will appear in this channel. To access the Web interface of any NYU Forum to which you're subscribed, click on the forum's link. Or, click the link to Subscribe to an NYU List to see the lists to which you may subscribe. Don't see a list to which you've subscribed? Click the link to Update Subscription List to refresh your List listing. For more information on NYU Lists, please see the NYU Lists help.
A listing of recent movie reviews from various online sources.
You can display your own properly formatted HTML code in this channel. Add a link to a favorite site, or an image.
My News Feeds
Add your own links to RSS feeds. Click the Edit button to add in the URL of the RSS feed and click the Save button.
A listing of the top news stories from various online sources.
Off Campus Housing
This channel provides a login to the Off Campus Housing Registry. Search for available housing or roommates.
Office of Student Activities
This channel provides a daily schedule of activities sponsored by student clubs and organizations registered with the Office of Student Activities (OSA). If your group is registered with the OSA and you would like to have an event posted or a separate calendar for your group, write to email@example.com.
This channel provides access to search all of the NYU Web site as well as an option to search the Internet using other popular search engines.
This channel provides the latest news and IT security alerts from ITS.
A listing of the top sports-related stories from various online sources.
This channel provides you with a list of links to various student government Web sites of interest.
This channel lists the current events on sale through Ticket Central. You can get more information or buy tickets. Various links provide you with additional information about Ticket Central.
Get the current weather for your favorite city. Click the Edit button to enter the zip code or city name, then click the Save button.
How do I add or delete NYUHome channels?
To see a list of the channels that appear in each tab, from your NYUHome screen, click on Channels at the top right corner of the window. Each NYUHome tab is represented and lists the channels it contains. If highlighted or checked, you can click on the channel's name to be brought directly to the channel.
The Home tab can now accommodate up to 30 channels.
To add channels to your Home tab:
- Check the boxes next to the channels you wish to add.
- Click on the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page to set your changes.
To remove channels from your Home tab:
- Un-check the boxes next to the channels you wish to remove (Note: some channels cannot be removed - such as the E-mail and the Security Alerts channels).
- Click on the Save Changes button to set your changes.
How do I show or hide channels?
You can modify how channels appear in your tabs by selecting the Hide or Show option within each channel's title bar. If hidden, the channel will appear with only its title bar showing.
Can I move the channels around in my NYUHome tabs?
You can move channels up and down or left to right within a tab.
- Select the channel you want to move.
- Click the arrow buttons in the top menu bar of the channel that points in the direction you want to move the channel (up or down, left or right).
- Your NYUHome screen will then reload with your channel in its new position.
Page last reviewed: May 20, 2011