search the site
Common Login Questions
- How do I join an NYU List through NYUHome?
- How do I access my NYU List through NYUHome?
- How do I temporarily suspend mail delivery from an NYU List?
- How do I unsubscribe from an NYU List through NYUHome?
- I would like to create a discussion group for my NYU organization. How do I apply for an NYU List?
- What's Lyris? Why does it send me error messages?
- Why did mail sent to me from an NYU List bounce?
What is My Username?
When you select the "Read Messages" link (or if you're a List Administrator, the "List Administration" link) in the Lists channel, a pop-up window will appear asking you to type in your Username. The Username is the full email address with which you're subscribed to the list, for example, email@example.com NOT aqe123.
It is possible that you may be subscribed to your lists with different email addresses. For example, you may have subscribed to one list with your NetID@nyu.edu address and to another list with your personal address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). While NYUHome sees these two addresses as two names for the same account, the list server sees these two addresses as two separate member subscriptions.
In the past, the NYUHome Lists channel only displayed the lists to which you were subscribed with your personal or directory address. However, we now display all the lists to which you are subscribed with any nyu.edu address.
What is My Password?
Your list password should NOT be your NYUHome password. Additionally, it is possible that you may have chosen a different password for all your lists. But -- even if you have subscribed to all your lists using the same email address, each list may have a different password.
Best thing to do is to synchronize your password for each email address across all your lists. Here's how:
Visit the NYU Lists Password Change Request page to request a password reset link.
Type in your email address. You'll be sent an email containing a link to a web page on which you can change your password for that email address. Click on the link...and enter in a new password. Note, resetting the password for this email address will reset the password across all lists for which you use this email address. Once your new password is saved, you'll be logged into your list.
If you are subscribed to lists with more than one email address (username), you will want to repeat this process for each email address.
How do I join an NYU List through NYUHome?
NYU Lists are email announcement or discussion lists. They can be used by NYU faculty, staff or students to exchange ideas about specialized topics or explain deadlines, homework assignments or meeting changes. Only those individuals who are subscribed to a list receive the mail.
If you are currently subscribed to an NYU List, your current subscriptions will appear in the Lists channel on your NYUHome screen.
To join a new list:
- From your NYUHome screen, select the Lists channel.
- Click on the link Browse and Subscribe to an NYU List.
- The List Subscription Request window will open.
- To subscribe to any of the mailing lists displayed in the window, click on the checkbox next to the list's name. Mailing lists which are designated "private" will require approval from the list's owner before your subscription is valid. Note the email address with which you will be subscribed to a list!
- Click on the Subscribe button when finished.
- Your subscription will take effect within 24 hours. You will be notified by an email message which will be sent to the address with which you were subscribed to the list.
How do I access my NYU Lists through NYUHome?
Accessing the lists to which you belong is as easy as logging into your NYUHome account and visiting the Lists channel. All of your lists should be listed in that channel. If you don't see all your lists, click the link at the bottom of the channel that says, Update List Subscriptions.
Click on the link for the list whose messages you wish to read. If you were not assigned a password when you subscribed to the list, you will be logged in and brought to the list's message reading interface. However, if you were assigned a password for the list, you will be asked to supply it at this time. You will then be placed into the list's message reading interface. You may also receive and send messages in your email account, but if you have missed any of the discussion, the web interface for the list will have the archived messages threaded by topic.
How do I temporarily suspend mail delivery from an NYU List?
I'm going on vacation and I don't wish to unsubscribe from all my lists, but rather temporarily suspend the mail delivery. How can I change my subscription setting so I don't receive mail?
You can change your mail delivery settings at any time from the list's web interface.
To do this:
- Log into the message reading interface for your list. You can access your list through your NYUHome account's Lists channel, or by going to http://lists.nyu.edu/read and logging in.
- In the left-hand menu, select the link for My Lists.
- Click on the link of the list for which you wish to change mail delivery settings.
- In the left-hand menu, select the My Account button.
- The default tab, Essentials, contains a setting called "Membership type:". Change the default option Normal: receive messages as they are contributed to No email: receive no email from this mailing list.
- Click the Save Changes button to put your changes into effect.
- To resume the delivery of mail from the list, repeat steps 1-5 above, but change the Membership type settings from No email back to what you had previously. The most common setting is Normal: receive messages as they are contributed. Then click the Save Changes button to save your changes.
Please note, if you do not see the option for mail delivery settings, then the list's administrator has disabled this feature. Please write to the NYU IT Service Desk at AskITS@nyu.edu for assistance.
How do I unsubscribe from an NYU List through NYUHome?
If you are currently subscribed to an NYU List, your current subscriptions will appear in the Listschannel on your NYUHome screen.
To unsubscribe from a list:
- From your NYUHome screen, select the Lists channel.
- Click on the "Read Messages" link of the list from which you wish to unsubscribe.
- Log into the message reading interface.
- From the left-hand menu, choose the My Lists button.
- Find the list's name.
- Select the Unsubscribe link.
- You'll be prompted to confirm that you wish to unsubscribe. If you're sure, click the Yes button.
- Your subscription change will take effect within 24 hours.
For information on how to unsubscribe from a list by sending email, please see NYU List FAQ.
I would like to create a discussion group for my NYU organization. How do I apply for an NYU List?
If you are interested in requesting a new list, you must fill out an online form. If you have questions, you can write to AskITS@nyu.edu. If you are a student, you will need an administrative or faculty sponsor for this list. With the exception of faculty applying for class lists, all lists at NYU require two owners. Students are required to have a faculty or administrative co-owner and/or sponsor.
Please see the NYU List page at www.nyu.edu/its/lists for more information.
What's Lyris? Why does it send me error messages?
Lyris List Manager is the software we use for our NYU Lists service. The software scans all incoming messages before it distributes them to a forum. If the message cannot be delivered, Lyris will send back an error message.
Error: You are not a member of this forum
This error message most likely means that you used NYUHome to log into a list with one username/password combination, then tried to access another list that requires a different username/password combination without first logging out of the other list. You can solve this by logging out before switching lists, or by synchronizing your usernames and passwords. See our section on Changing Passwords.
Error: Sorry, but Lyris ListManager did not find your email address -> "email@example.com" listed as a member of [listname].
This message informs you that the list server cannot find the email address with which you logged in as a member for this list. If you know you are a member of the list, you are probably subscribed with a different email address. Contact the IT Service Desk at AskITS@nyu.edu to request information about your subscription address.
Error: Sorry, but Lyris ListManager did not find your email address -> "firstname.lastname@example.org" listed as a member of [listname]. Only members of [listname] are allowed to contribute messages. Because Lyris ListManager could not confirm that you are a member of [listname] your message was not accepted.
Certain lists are set up so that only subscribed members are able to post, while others allow posting from members and non-members. If you receive this error message and you know you are a member of the list, you should check the header fields in your mail program to ensure that the email address in the "From" header field matches the email address to which you've subscribed to the list. If you cannot remember the email address with which you subscribed, you should send an email message to the list owner for more information. To contact the list owner, write to:
where listname is the name of the list.
Error: Sorry, your message was not sent out to [listname] because the first word of your message looks very similar to a system command. If it is a command, you should email it to: email@example.com. If your message is definitely not a command, and is instead an email message that everyone on [listname] should receive, then you should re-send your message, changing the first word so that it does not cause this warning.
Lyris scans the subject line and the first line of all incoming messages for particular keywords in order to prevent certain messages from being posted to lists, such as return receipts, mail error messages, automated vacation responses and requests to be removed or unsubscribed. If the subject line or first line of your message contained such words as "remove", "read", "vacation", or "out of the office" you should alter the text or, in the case of the word or phrase appearing in the message body, simply put a blank line first and re-send the message.
Why did mail sent to me from an NYU List bounce?
Bounced mail is email that cannot be delivered. Mail bounces for many reasons; the most common are email address misspellings, email address changes, full account mailboxes or problems with the recipient's mail server. With Lyris, mail may also bounce if a vacation message or a return receipt feature is enabled.
How does bounced mail affect your subscription? NYU List Administrators receive error messages when mail sent to a member's address bounces. If you bounce many messages, the list's administrator may remove you from the member list immediately, or let you continue to bounce mail for a short time to see whether the delivery problem is resolved.
If you suddenly stop receiving mail from your list, check to see if you have reached your NYUHome account mailbox quota. For more information on what to do if you have exceeded your NYUHome mail quota, see the NYUHome FAQs.
Page last reviewed: March 30, 2011