There are new reports about a sophisticated phishing message that purports to come from "IT HELP DESK" and claims that NYU " is doing some maintenance in the server login page" and that NYU members are " advice to access their account in the temporary login page powered by Google.Do". The phishing message informs the recipient that the login page has been changed and that they should click on a link to sign in with their NetID and password. This message is a forgery and should be deleted immediately.
NYU community members should NEVER REPLY TO OR CLICK ANY URL in an email that requests the recipient's email login name, password, or other personal information.
As a reminder of better security practices, always remember that:
- No NYU community member will ever ask for your account password, especially not over email.
- Do not reply back to emails from unidentified, untrusted, or unexpected sources.
- Forward all phishing messages to firstname.lastname@example.org. This helps train our email filters to block such messages in the future.
- Messages that request personal information over plaintext email should be regarded as being suspicious. If you are unsure about the legitimacy of a message, contact the ITS Client Services Center at email@example.com or 212-998-3333.
- If a message informs you of an impending "account closure" unless you comply with its demands, it is often a sign that the message is a phishing scam. Do not comply with its requests.
The following sites also provide several useful tips on defending against these types of phishing attacks:
- SOPHOS Best Practices - Phishing
- ScamWatch.Gov - See a Scam
- ScamWatch.Gov - How to Protect Yourself from a Scam
Below the full phishing message. Links have been disabled for security reasons:
Subject: IMPORTANT NOTICE
This message is from N.Y.U To inform you that IT Helpdesk is doing some maintenance in the server login page. All N.Y.U Webmail account are advice to access their account in the temporary login page powered by Google.Do login your Username and Password to the new login page and get the latest exciting information and news/update.
Please click the data base link below and login:
IT HELP DESK