There are new reports about a sophisticated phishing message that purports to come from "nyu.edu SUPPORT firstname.lastname@example.org". The phishing message claims that NYU "would like to inform you that we are currently carrying out scheduled maintenance and upgrade of our webmail service" and that "your original password will be reset". The message then informs you to email your current NetID password to "email@example.com".
NYU community members should NEVER REPLY TO OR CLICK ANY URL in an email that requests the recipient's email login name and password. Instead, forward phishing messages as an attachment to our email filtering account firstname.lastname@example.org. Doing so trains our email filters to prevent such types of spam from arriving into inboxes.
Please note: It is very important to forward the message as an attachment, otherwise our email filters will not be able to parse through the message correctly.
As a reminder of better security practices, always remember that:
- No NYU community member will ever ask for your account password, especially not over email.
- Do not reply back to emails from unidentified, untrusted sources.
- Forward all phishing messages as an attachment to email@example.com. This helps train our email filters to block such messages in the future.
- Messages that request personal information over plaintext email should be regarded as being suspicious. If it is spam, forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unsure about the legitimacy of a message, contact the ITS Client Services Center at email@example.com or 212-998-3333.
- If a message informs you of an impending "account closure" unless you comply with its demands, it is often a sign that the message is a phishing scam. Do not comply with its requests.
The following sites also provide several useful tips on defending against these types of phishing attacks:
- SOPHOS Best Practices - Phishing
- ScamWatch.Gov - See a Scam
- ScamWatch.Gov - How to Protect Yourself from a Scam
Example Phishing Message
NYU Mail Maintenance
Dear Email Account Owner!!!
We would like to inform you that we are currently carrying
out scheduled maintenance and upgrade of our webmail service and
we changing our mailhost server as a result your original
password will be reset. We are sorry for any inconvenience
To complete your nyu.edu email account, you must enter our
password here (*********) and reply to this
email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to enable us
upgrade your account and update our database.
Failure to do this will immediately render your email
address deactivated from our database.
You can also confirm your email address by logging into your
nyu.edu account at: https://mail.nyu.edu/
Thank you for using the nyu.edu!
nyu.edu SUPPORT email@example.com