There are new reports about a sophisticated phishing message that purports to come from Crosby & Higgins LLP lawfirm. The message claims that there is "...a lawsuit that we filed against you in court on March 11, 2010... " and requests you click on an URL to open a Word DOC file containing the complaint. This email is NOT legitimate.
Phishing messages phishing messages should be forwarded as an attachment to our email filtering account email@example.com. Doing so trains our email filters to prevent such types of messages from arriving into inboxes.
Please note: It is very important to forward the message as an attachment, otherwise our email filters will not be able to parse through the message correctly.
As a reminder of better security practices, always remember that:
- No NYU community member will ever ask for your account password, especially not over email.
- Never click on suspicious links in email, especially from unknown, untrusted sources
- Do not reply back to emails from unidentified, untrusted sources.
- Only the Office of the General Counsel can act on legal matters on behalf of the University
- Forward all phishing messages as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. This helps train our email filters to block such messages in the future.
- Messages that request personal information over plaintext email should be regarded as being suspicious. If it is spam, forward it to email@example.com. If you are unsure about the legitimacy of a message, contact the ITS Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-998-3333.
- If a message informs you of an impending "account closure" unless you comply with its demands, it is often a sign that the message is a phishing scam. Do not comply with its requests.
The following sites also provide several useful tips on defending against these types of phishing attacks:
- SOPHOS Best Practices - Phishing
- ScamWatch.Gov - See a Scam
- ScamWatch.Gov - How to Protect Yourself from a Scam
Example Phishing Message
Date: Date: March 24, 2010 5:54:08 AM EDT
Subject: Important Lawsuit notice.
March 20, 2010
Crosby & Higgins
350 Broadway, Suite 300
New York, NY 10013
To Whom It May Concern:
On the link bellow is a copy of the lawsuit that we filed against
you in court on March 11, 2010. Currently the Pretrail Conference is scheduled for April 10th, 2010 at 9:30 A.M. in courtroom #33.The case number is 3485934. The reason the lawsuit was filed was due
to a completely inadequate response from your company for copyright
infrigement that our client Daughters Of Columbus org. is a victim
of Copyright infrigement
http://www. daught3s 0f c0lumbus. c0m/XXXXX.XXXX.doc
Daughters of Columbus has proof of multiple Copyright Law violations that they wish to present in court on April 10th, 2010.