search the site
- NYU Google Apps for Education (E-mail, Calendar, Docs, Sites, Groups and Chat)
- Computer Security
- Your NetID & Password
- E-mail & Spam
- NYU Blackboard
- Connecting to NYU-NET and other NYU Resources
- NYU ResNet
- Computer Use at NYU's Global Sites
- Using Smart Phones at NYU
- File Transfer (FTP) and Secure File Transfer (SFTP)
- Coursework Computer Accounts
NYU Google Apps for Education
Visit the Computer Security page for a variety of frequently asked questions and answers relating to protecting your computer and data.
NetID & Password FAQs
For tips on choosing a strong password, and important information about password security, see the Computer & Network Security site. For general information about activating your NetID, and setting and changing your password, see the NetID and Password page.
Your NYU NetID
- What is a NetID?
- How do I activate my NYU NetID?
- What if I don't know or forget my NetID?
- Can I change my NetID?
Setting or Changing Your Password
For more information about your NetID and Google Apps passwords, see the NetID and Passwords page.
- How do I set or change my NetID or Google Apps password?
- I received an e-mail message from ITS saying that I have to change my password. Is this a legitimate message?
- I'm a faculty member at the School of Medicine, and I've received an e-mail message that my password is going to expire. What does this mean?
- Why am I being asked to change my password?
- Which services will be affected if I don't change my password on time?
- Which services ARE NOT affected when I change my NetID password?
- When will my newly changed NetID password expire?
- Will I get a reminder that my NetID password is expiring?
- If I have a strong password, why should I have to keep changing it?
- Can the IT Service Desk change my password for me over the phone?
- I created a new password and I got a message saying "Invalid password choice..." What should I do?
- What are the restrictions in creating passwords?
- How long after I have changed my password does my new one become valid?
- Who should I contact if I get stuck or need more help?
Problems with Your Password
- What if I forget my password?
- What if I forget my password and the answer to my password hint?
- I'm trying to login to my account, and it keeps telling me that my login ID or password is incorrect. What should I do?
E-mail & Spam
For more information about your NYU E-mail, Calendar, and the other Google Apps for Education, please see the NYU Google Apps page.
General E-mail FAQs
For FAQs about your NYU E-mail powered by Google, please see the NYU E-mail page.
Easily searchable online support for the NYU Blackboard course management system is available via the Ask ITS Knowledgebase. Also see the Blackboard support website for video tutorials, faqs, and in-person training opportunities.
- What is NYUHome?
- Who is eligible for NYUHome service?
- When can I activate my NYUHome service?
- What web browser and operating system should I use with NYUHome?
- Can I log into NYUHome when I'm traveling?
- What is the address of my personal web page?
- Can my NYU web page be found by search engines?
- Can I use my Palm Pilot or other PDA with NYUHome?
- How do I get my event listed on the NYUHome Events Channel?
- Does NYUHome provide access to a shell account?
- Switch in IP Address Error Messages
- Blank Screen When Opening Mail Program Window
- Setting Up Your Browser Correctly
- Clearing Your Disk Cache
- Session Expired Error Messages
- SMTP/Mail Relay Information & Error Messages
- Going Over Mail Quota
- Going Over File Quota
- Channel Error Messages
- Seeing Characters Instead of Text
- Missing Icons
- Incorrect Time Stamp on Mail
- Address Limit Error Messages
- Conflicts with WebWasher and other Ad-Filtering Software
- Blocking Spam
- Known Issues with NYUHome Web Mail/Messenger Express
Connecting to NYU-NET and Other NYU Resources
- What is ResNet?
- What do I need in order to use ResNet, and where is it available?
- What does ResNet cost?
- How can I access the NYU-NET registration site from my room using Ethernet if I haven't registered yet?
- I cannot access the NYU-NET registration page at all...
- My computer appears to be trying to dial my modem when I launch a web browser. What should I do?
- I live in Third Avenue North. How can my roommate and I connect to ResNet simultaneously?
- Can I run a router/wireless connection on ResNet?
- Can I get NYURoam wireless service in my room?
- Can I register more than one computer for ResNet?
- Why is it taking so long for my computer to start (boot) up now that I am connected?
- Should I buy a 100mbps Ethernet card?
- How do I install my Ethernet card?
- Is there is a firewall on ResNet?
- Will I be able to access other network services on campus from ResNet?
- What if I don't read the acceptable use agreements?
- Are there printers on ResNet?
- Is there censorship on ResNet?
- Is peer-to-peer file sharing allowed on ResNet?
- What should I do if my data jack is damaged?
- My computer does not work, what should I do?
- I can't find the data jack in my room, where should I look?
- How do I know what version of Windows I am running?
- My computer was stolen, what should I do?
- What is the ResNet Group's phone number?
- Where is ResNet located?
- If my computer is broken, can someone come to my room and fix it?
- Can I get help with a virus/spyware issue?
- Can I get a laptop appointment for a virus issue?
- Can I borrow the Windows Installation CD?
- Can I run a game server?
- Can I use the Internet to make telephone calls?
- What if my Ethernet cable cannot reach the jack?
- Is it possible to register guests online?
- Does ResNet actively support Windows 95/98/ME?
- If I live in a law school dorm (such as D'Agostino or Mercer St.), how can I get ResNet support?
- How long will it take to receive assistance from the ResNet Group?
- My computer is infected, but my most recent scan says that no viruses were found...now what?
- Where can I find out more about ResNet?
Computer Use at NYU's Global Sites
- Can I use my laptop computer when studying at one of NYU's global sites? If so, how?
- I'm trying to register my laptop computer, but I can't find my Ethernet card address. What does it look like?
- I've registered my computer, what else do I need in order to connect?
- My computer won't connect to the Internet. What might be wrong?
- Is my computer protected from viruses? Does NYU offer antivirus software?
- What policies govern the use of computers on NYU-NET?
- How can I keep in touch with the New York campus while I'm abroad?
- Is wireless network access available at NYU's global sites?
- Where can I get help with my computer?
Using Smart Phones at NYU
NYU's technical support for PDAs is currently limited to Blackberry, iPhone, and Android devices. Consult ITS Smart Phones and Mobile Devices for more information.
For information about setting up a mobile device to connect to NYU E-mail and Calendar, powered by Google, see the Ask ITS knowledgebase.
File Transfer (FTP) and Secure File Transfer (SFTP)
- What is file transfer (FTP & SFTP)?
- General Information about FTP
- How do I transfer files with Fugu (for Mac OS X)?
- How do I transfer files with Fetch (for Mac OS X)?
- How do I transfer files with WinSCP (for PC)?
- How do I upload and download files in NYUHome or to my NYUHome web page?
Coursework Computer Accounts
- Is a Blackboard Instructional Management System Account a type of Coursework Account?
- I want my students to have Internet accounts at the beginning of the semester. They will use these accounts for e-mail and Internet access only. Do I need to apply for a Coursework Account?
- Can I apply for the students as a group?
- I want my students to use Netscape or Internet Explorer in the labs and at home in order to do research for my class. How do I do this?
- How do I, as the instructor, and my teaching assistant receive coursework computer accounts?
- How long will a coursework computer account remain active?
- The students I teach are non-degree students but I would like them to have access to the Internet and to e-mail for work they will do in my class. Is this possible?
- May I bring my entire class to the lab for hands-on training?
- Can you clarify which coursework accounts provide which services?
- I would like a mailing list set up for my class. What steps do I need to take to ensure that we have this service for our class?
- The class I teach is cross-listed between schools. Can I fill out one form for both classes?
Page last reviewed: June 1, 2012