search the site
- Schedule of services
- Email & voice mail preparations for the Winter Recess
- Getting help & information during the Winter Recess
- University administration
- Year-end giving
Normal telephone and connectivity services (e.g., Albert, email, Internet, phone, voice mail) are expected to be available during the Winter Recess. See below for detailed scheduling and contact information. During the Break, all ITS-operated systems are monitored on a 24/7 basis, with staff on site and on call to respond to urgent matters, should any arise. For up-to-the-minute information on the status of ITS systems and services, including any system maintenance that may be conducted, see www.nyu.edu/its/status.
The ITS team wishes you and yours a happy and restful Winter Recess!
Schedule of services
December 20-January 1 (University's Winter Recess)
- IT Service Desk: IT Service Desk staff will be available to answer calls to 212-998-3333 and email to AskITS@nyu.edu 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the Winter Recess. The walk-in location in New York at 10 Astor Place will be closed from 6:00pm ET on Friday, December 20 until 9:00am ET on Thursday, January 2. Normal walk-in hours will resume at 9:00am on Thursday, January 2.
- NYU-Poly and NYU Abu Dhabi IT service desks: These service desks will be closed during the Winter Recess, but members of those communities can contact the NYU IT Service Desk (see above) throughout the Recess as needed.
- ITS computer labs: The Fourth Street and Third Avenue Academic Centers will be closed from end of business on Sunday, December 22 through Wednesday, January 1. Normal hours will resume on Thursday, January 2. The 14 Washington Place and Kimmel CoLabs will be closed from end of business on Friday, December 20 through Sunday, January 26. Normal hours will resume on Monday, January 27.
- Advanced Media Studio (AMS): The AMS will be closed for Winter Recess from 4pm ET on Friday, December 20, until 10am ET on Monday, January 13.
- Digital Studio and Data Services: Please visit the NYU Libraries website for Winter Recess hours at these locations.
- ITS administrative offices: All ITS administrative offices will be closed from the end of business on Friday, December 20, until the start of business on Thursday, January 2.
January 6-January 24 (January Term)
- IT Service Desk: IT Service Desk staff will be available to answer calls to 212-998-3333 and email to AskITS@nyu.edu 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the January Term. The walk-in location in New York at 10 Astor Place will also be open for normal walk-in hours.
- ITS computer labs: The Fourth Street and Third Avenue Academic Centers will be open on their normal schedules throughout the January Term. The 14 Washington Place and Kimmel CoLabs will be closed throughout the January Term, with normal hours resuming on Monday, January 27th.
- Advanced Media Studio (AMS): The AMS will reopen Monday, January 13, with modified hours of 10am to 5pm ET, Monday through Friday, for the remainder of the January Term. Spring term hours will resume on Monday, January 27. Please see the AMS website for further information.
- Digital Studio and Data Services: Please visit the NYU Libraries website for January Term hours at these locations.
- Additional computing resources at Bobst Library: During the Recess, you can also make use of Bobst Library's computer lab, loaner computers, and NYUHome stations. For the Libraries' hours, please visit http://library.nyu.edu/about/hours/fall.html.
January 20 (Martin Luther King, Jr., Day)
Please note that the all ITS centers, computer labs, offices, and studios will be closed on this University holiday, with the exception of the IT Service Desk, which will continue to provide support via 212-998-3333 and AskITS@nyu.edu.
Email & voice mail preparations for the Winter
- Authenticating yourself and connecting using NYU VPN
- Changing your voice mail greeting (for NYU faculty & staff)
- Setting your NYU Email vacation message
Authenticating yourself and connecting using NYU VPN
When connecting to certain NYU web services (e.g., myTime) from off campus using a non-NYU Internet Service Provider (ISP) such as Verizon, you may need to authenticate yourself with your NYU NetID and password and/or use NYU VPN. Visit the NYU VPN website for more information.
Changing your voice mail greeting (for NYU faculty & staff)
- ITS recommends that individuals and departments update their voice mail or answering machine greetings to reflect their status during the Recess. We suggest that you explain that the University is closed, including the dates, and whether or not you will retrieve messages during the holiday. For directions on changing your voice mail greeting, see Setting your NYU Email vacation message, below.
- In order to reduce the volume of calls received by NYU's voice mail systems immediately following the Recess, we recommend that you retrieve your messages during the Recess.
- It is possible to have a voice mail box that you use only at specific times, such as holidays. Contact the IT Service Desk at 212-998-3333 to discuss the available options.
- NYU departmental administrators: Coverage during the Recess
Please notify IT Service Desk staff at 212-998-3333 or via (AskITS@nyu.edu) before December 24 if your department will be covering incoming calls in person or by voice mail during the Winter Recess. It is important to make IT Service Desk staff aware of your coverage plans.
- Changing your voice mail greeting
For details on how NYU staff, faculty, and administrators can access and update their voice mail greetings, see the Telephones & Voice Mail website.
Setting your NYU Email vacation message
You can ceate an automated email responder to indicate your availabiity to those who send you email during the Winter Recess and January Term. To do so:
- Log into your NYU Email and click the Settings (gear) button at the top right of the page.
- Select Settings.
- In the General tab that opens, scroll down to the Vacation responder section.
- Click the radio button next to Vacation responder on.
- Enter the start and end date for the auto-reply message in the First day and Ends fields.
- In the Subject field, enter the subject of your email message (e.g., Auto Reply: Out of Office).
- In the Message textbox, enter the body of your email.
- Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the screen.
- Anyone who writes to you will receive a copy of the vacation message you created during the date range you specified. The mail they've sent will be stored in your Inbox for you to reply to when you return. Your email vacation message will turn off automatically after the end date you entered.
- Note: ITS recommends that you temporarily suspend incoming email delivery from any mailing lists you belong to, as auto-responding to lists is not courteous. You can resubscribe to the lists when you return from the Recess. Please see www.nyu.edu/its/nyuhome/lists/#nomail for instructions for NYU Lists.
Help & information
Please use the following help resources during the Winter Recess and January Term:
The NYU Hotline (212-998-1220) will provide prerecorded information on the University's status and will be updated as needed.
The NYU Information Alert page (www.nyu.edu/info.alert) will provide information on the University's status and will be updated as needed.
Protection Services (212-998-2222) will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, throughout the Recess.
NYU During the Break: A student-focused web page with schedule and contact information for a wide range of NYU resources during the Break.
The University's Voice-Activated Directory (212-998-1212) will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, throughout the break; Directory services staff will be available for their normal hours of Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm ET throughout the Winter Recess and January Term.
The IT Service Desk (212-998-3333; AskITS@nyu.edu) will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the Winter Recess and January Term.
The Wellness Exchange Counseling Hotline (212-443-9999; www.nyu.edu/999/counseling) will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, throughout the Winter Recess and January Term.
The President's Office, the Office for University Development and Alumni Relations, and the Press Office will continue their long-standing policy of closely monitoring their voice mail. Messages will be monitored and responded to on a daily basis during the Recess.
For those wishing to make year-end gifts, please visit www.nyu.edu/giving or contact the Office of University Development at 212-998-6900. NYU appreciates and relies on the loyalty and generosity of its alumni, friends, and parents, many of whom make year-end philanthropic gifts part of their holiday traditions.
Last reviewed: December 17, 2013