search the site
- Schedule of services
- Email & voice mail preparations for the Winter Recess
- Getting help & information during the Winter Recess
- University administration
- Year-end giving
Normal telephone and connectivity services (e.g., Albert, email, Internet, phone, voice mail) are expected to be available during the Winter Recess. See below for detailed scheduling and contact information. During the Break, all ITS-operated systems are monitored on a 24/7 basis, with staff on site and on call to respond to urgent matters, should any arise. For up-to-the-minute information on the status of ITS systems and services, including any system maintenance that may be conducted, see www.nyu.edu/its/status.
The ITS team wishes you and yours a happy and restful Winter Recess!
Schedule of services
December 20-January 4 (University's Winter Recess)
- IT Service Desk: IT Service Desk staff will be available to answer calls to 212-998-3333 and email to AskITS@nyu.edu 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the Winter Recess. The walk-in location in New York at 10 Astor Place will be closed from 6:00pm ET on Friday, December 19 until 9:00am ET on Monday, January 5. Normal walk-in hours will resume at 9:00am on Monday, January 5.
- NYU Abu Dhabi IT service desk: This service desk will be closed during the Winter Recess, but community members can contact the NYU IT Service Desk (see above) throughout the Recess as needed.
- ITS computer labs: The Fourth Street and Third Avenue Academic Centers will be closed from end of business on Friday, December 19 through Sunday, January 4. Normal hours will resume on Monday, January 5. The 14 Washington Place and Kimmel CoLabs will be closed from end of business on Friday, December 19 through Sunday, January 25. Normal hours will resume on Monday, January 26.
- Advanced Media Studio (AMS): The AMS will be closed for Winter Recess from 4pm ET on Friday, December 19, until 10am ET on Monday, January 5.
- Digital Studio and Data Services: Please visit the NYU Libraries website for Winter Recess hours at these locations.
- ITS administrative offices: All ITS administrative offices will be closed from the end of business on Tuesday, December 23, until the start of business on Monday, January 5.
January 5-January 23 (January Term)
- IT Service Desk: IT Service Desk staff will be available to answer calls to 212-998-3333 and email to AskITS@nyu.edu 24 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout the January Term. The walk-in location in New York at 10 Astor Place will also be open for normal walk-in hours.
- ITS computer labs: The Fourth Street and Third Avenue Academic Centers will be open on their normal schedules throughout the January Term. The 14 Washington Place and Kimmel CoLabs will be closed throughout the January Term, with normal hours resuming on Monday, January 26.
- Advanced Media Studio (AMS): The AMS will reopen Monday, January 5, with modified hours of 10am to 5pm ET, Monday through Friday, for the remainder of the January Term. Spring term hours will resume on Monday, January 26. Please see the AMS website for further information.
- Digital Studio and Data Services: Please visit the NYU Libraries website for January Term hours at these locations.
- Additional computing resources at Bobst Library: During the Recess, you can also make use of Bobst Library's computer lab, loaner computers, and NYUHome stations. For the Libraries' hours, please visit http://library.nyu.edu/about/hours/fall.html.
January 19 (Martin Luther King, Jr., Day)
Please note that the all ITS centers, computer labs, offices, and studios will be closed on this University holiday, with the exception of the IT Service Desk, which will continue to provide support via 212-998-3333 and AskITS@nyu.edu.
Email & voice mail preparations for the Winter
- Authenticating yourself and connecting using NYU VPN
- Changing your voice mail greeting (for NYU faculty & staff)
- Setting your NYU Email vacation message
Authenticating yourself and connecting using NYU VPN
When connecting to certain NYU web services (e.g., myTime) from off campus using a non-NYU Internet Service Provider (ISP) such as Verizon, you may need to authenticate yourself with your NYU NetID and password and/or use NYU VPN. Visit the NYU VPN website for more information.
Changing your voice mail greeting (for NYU faculty & staff)
- ITS recommends that individuals and departments update their voice mail or answering machine greetings to reflect their status during the Recess. We suggest that you explain that the University is closed, including the dates, and whether or not you will retrieve messages during the holiday. For directions on changing your voice mail greeting, see Setting your NYU Email vacation message, below.
- In order to reduce the volume of calls received by NYU's voice mail systems immediately following the Recess, we recommend that you retrieve your messages during the Recess.
- NYU departmental administrators: Coverage during the Recess
Please notify IT Service Desk staff at 212-998-3333 or via (AskITS@nyu.edu) before December 24 if your department will be covering incoming calls in person or by voice mail during the Winter Recess. It is important to make IT Service Desk staff aware of your coverage plans.
- Changing your voice mail greeting
For details on how NYU staff, faculty, and administrators can access and update their voice mail greetings, see the Telephones & Voice Mail website.
Setting your NYU Email vacation message
You can ceate an automated email responder to indicate your availabiity to those who send you email during the Winter Recess and January Term. To do so, follow these instructions: NYU Email: Creating an automated out-of-office or vacation message.
Note: ITS recommends that you temporarily suspend incoming email delivery from any mailing lists you belong to, as auto-responding to lists is not courteous. You can resubscribe to the lists when you return from the Recess. Please see the "Nomail" option in this support article instructions on how to suspend messages from NYU Lists.
Help & information
Please use the following help resources during the Winter Recess and January Term:
The NYU Hotline (212-998-1220) will provide prerecorded information on the University's status and will be updated as needed.
The NYU Information Alert page (www.nyu.edu/info.alert) will provide information on the University's status and will be updated as needed.
Protection Services (212-998-2222) will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, throughout the Recess.
NYU During the Break: A student-focused web page with schedule and contact information for a wide range of NYU resources during the Break.
The University's Voice-Activated Directory (212-998-1212) will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, throughout the break; Directory services staff will be available for their normal hours of Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm ET throughout the Winter Recess and January Term.
The IT Service Desk (212-998-3333; AskITS@nyu.edu) will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during the Winter Recess and January Term. Click here for IT Service Desk contact information at NYU global sites.
The Wellness Exchange Counseling Hotline (212-443-9999; www.nyu.edu/999/counseling) will be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, throughout the Winter Recess and January Term.
The President's Office, the Office for University Development and Alumni Relations, and the Press Office will continue their long-standing policy of closely monitoring their voice mail. Messages will be monitored and responded to on a daily basis during the Recess.
For those wishing to make year-end gifts, please visit www.nyu.edu/giving or contact the Office of University Development at 212-998-6900. NYU appreciates and relies on the loyalty and generosity of its alumni, friends, and parents, many of whom make year-end philanthropic gifts part of their holiday traditions.
Last reviewed: November 26, 2014