About the International Center for Enterprise Preparedness (InterCEP)
InterCEP is the international research and development center dedicated to strategic risk management and organizational resilience. Acknowledging that "risk and reward" are at the core of all undertakings in both the public and private sectors, the Center focuses on the development of strategies to most effectively address uncertainty so as to achieve targeted objectives - in essence addressing "risks" to achieve "rewards."
The Center focuses on solutions to challenges in private sector management of risk and the interface of the public and private sectors in addressing shared risks.
Key elements of the Center's approach include:
- Focuses on achieving objectives in an uncertain environment: The Center acknowledges "risk" as uncertainty with the potential for both positive and negative impacts on an organization's objectives. Therefore the risk management strategies are developed to address uncertainty so as to better achieve organizational objectives - not solely to protect existing operations in the event of a crisis.
- Takes an integrated cross-industry and public-private sector approach to addressing risk: The Center acknowledges the interdependencies across industries and the public and private sectors, most especially in a globalized and interconnected economy. Such interdependencies require an integrated approach that leverages engagement and collaboration on common risks. Additionally, sharing insights across sectors yeilds a more expansive understanding of threats and opportunities as well as more robust solutions.
- Applies a problem-solving project-based approach to deliver concrete solutions: A core project management regime is applied to develop impactful deliverables on initiatives undertaken by the Center. The Center generally engages key stakeholders and subject matter experts around targeted issues. Problems and their drivers are defined through active facilitation and potential solutions are identified. Further development and staged implementation of identified solutions is undertaken on a collaborative basis as appropriate.
- Leverages the neutral ground of an international academic institution to convene diverse parties and tap real-world insights from leading practitioners in a trusted network environment: Confidential sharing of experiences and perspectives coupled with a solutions-oriented approach are hallmarks of the Center's engagement. The Center values its reputation for frank facilitated discussions among senior leaders in key organizations, both public and private.
- Engages the spectrum of risk-related professions: The Center's professional community includes individuals in the private sector with senior titles in enterprise risk management, security, continuity, crisis management, emergency management, preparedness and resilience. In the public sector, these individuals include senior officials in homeland security, civil defense, police, intelligence, emergency management, civil contingencies and the military.
- Draws from a diversity of knowledge disciplines: In addition to the professional disciplines above, insights and strategies are integrated from the areas of strategic planning, change management, risk engineering, innovation, finance and venture capital.
- Truly international in focus: The Center is committed to engaging across Asia, Africa, the Americas, Australia and Europe. This is fully supported by NYU's global network university strategy.
- Takes a collaborative and integrated approach in cooperating with related initiatives: The Center seeks to integrate and collaborate with existing initiatives - not to duplicate or compete with them - acknowledging that there is real value and greater impact in collaboration.
The Center engages with and is advised by a unique community of senior leaders who have responsibilities to address risk and uncertainty for their organizations. Private sector members are predominantly from Global 1000 corporations. These are individuals who have senior titles that include enterprise risk management, security, continuity, crisis management, emergency management, preparedness and resilience. In the public sector, these individuals include senior officials in homeland security, civil defense, police, intelligence, emergency management, civil contingencies and the military.
What these leaders share in common is the charge from their organizations to proactively address uncertainty (in all its forms) to assure that the core missions of their organizations (whether they be governments or corporations) are enabled and sustained. These leaders are committed to peer-to-peer sharing of insights, development of key personal relationships in advance of crisis and joint action on common challenges.
The International Center for Enterprise Preparedness
New York University
285 Mercer Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10003
Tel: +1- 212-998-2000