Problems and Weaknesses
This project was made possible through a Curriculum Development Grant, which I was awarded in the Spring of 2000. I would like to express my profound gratitude to the team who has worked on the development of the website for their time, creativity and devotion:
Description of Site
This site is geared toward students at the beginning and intermediate level. It includes several sections:
Stories – mostly popular stories from the Panchatantra, retold by members of the South Asian
community in New York City, collected by students from the Hindi classes at NYU. Every story has a series of
pictures depicting major events from the plot, as well as a basic glossary list and the text of the story in
audio and script. In addition, every picture has an additional audio file, which contains a loose description
of the image and a small text file related to it. The stories can be approached as a:
- listening activity: delaying speech production to focus on listening supported by imagery and specific context for better comprehension and memory retention;
- reading activity: delaying speech production for improvement of reading comprehension skills supported by sound and imagery, especially beneficial for improvement of literacy skills of students with South Asian background;
- speaking activity based on the pictures and the glossary.
Work with this section of the site involves the use of:
- cognitive strategies, such as predicting the upcoming information by using visual clues, making inferences by using information in the image and the text to guess meanings of new items, making personal analogies, elaboration of prior knowledge by relating new to known information;
- metacognitive strategies - selective listening by attending to key words and types of information, organizational planning, identifying the purpose of a language task, setting goals and objectives, repeating and practicing sounds & script;
- memory strategies - placing relatively new words in specific context and using imagery.
- Reference Grammar – including explanation and illustration of the most basic grammar of the Hindi language.
- Exercises – intended as a student workbook for practice.
- Student Projects and Work
- South Asian Community Feature Magazine
- Links to useful Hindi language-related sites
In the developmental stage: