Prof. Thomas Mathews

Gul Camii


J. Pargoire, "Constantinople: L' eglise Sainte-Theodosie," EO 9 (1906), 161 - 65.

Van Millingen, Byzantine Churches, pp. 164 - 82.

Ebersolt and Thiers, Les eglises, pp. 113 - 27.

N. Brunov, "Die Gul - Djami von Konstantinopel," BZ 30 (1929 - 30).

Janin, La geographie, pp. 103 - 6.

H. Schafer, Die Gul Camii in Istanbul: Ein Beitrag zur mittelbyzantinischen Kirchenarchitektur Kontantinopels, IM Beiheft 7 (Tubingen, 1973).

Gül Camii: B. Aran, "The Church of St. Theodosia and the Monastery of Christ Euergetes. Notes on the topography of Constantinople." Jahrb. Österr. Byz. 28 (1979) 211-228.

© 2001, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University
Questions, comments? Please contact

View of the nave from the sanctuary... The east end of the church. Detail of the east end, viewed from the SE. South flank, viewed from the SE. General view from the SW. The north crossarm viewed from the south ambulatory. The south gallery from the west. The south ambulatory, viewed from the west. The west ambulatory viewed from the south. The west gallery from the SW. The sanctuary. General view from the sanctuary... The dome, with the east barrel vault at right. View from the west ambulatory into the nave. The prothesis chapel. The vaulting of the NW corner bay... The west facade during reconstruction... The north flank of the church. General view from the NW.