New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

International Student Fees

As an international student at NYU, there are a few fees you'll be charged specific to your legal status. Learn what they are and how you pay them.



What it is

If you are an F-1 or J-1 student, you will have to pay the SEVIS fee to the US government. Currently, the SEVIS fee is $200 for F-1 students and $180 dollars for J-1 students. When you pay the fee, be sure to print payment confirmation and keep it with your other immigration documents.

When to pay it

You are responsible for paying this fee once you get a new I-20 or DS-2019 from us and at least 3 business days before you apply for your F-1 or J-1 visa. If you're Canadian, you'll have to pay the fee at least three business days prior to entering the US as an F-1 or J-1 student.

Who doesn't have to pay it

You won't have to pay the fee

  • if you transferred your SEVIS record from another university.
  • if you need to apply for a new visa later on in your studies. You only need to pay the fee again if you are issued a brand new SEVIS record and your SEVIS ID number (the number above the bar code of your I-20 or DS-2019) is different.
  • if you are sponsored by Fulbright or another similar program. Be sure to check with the organization issuing your DS-2019 to confirm if you have the fee waived.
  • if you are an F-2 or J-2 dependent.


NYU International Student Fee

What it is

If you are an international student at NYU, you will have to pay $90 for each semester or term you register for class. An international student at NYU is anyone who is not a US citizen or Permanent Resident. This fee is part of the cost of attending NYU. 

When to pay it

You are automatically charged for it each term you register. You will see it on your NYU bill and can pay it when you are paying your fees for the semester.

Who doesn't have to pay it

If you change your status and become a US citizen or Permanent Resident, then contact us. We will need to see proof of your new status in the U.S. You will then no longer be responsible for paying the fee.

For any questions about this fee, please contact Thomas Sirinides, Associate Director of International Student Services, at If you're a student in the School of Engineering, please contact Becky Greenstrom, Associate Director of the Office of Global Services, Brooklyn at

NYU Footer