New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Get a US Visa

Just got accepted to NYU? Congratulations! Follow these steps to learn how to get your F-1 or J-1 visa to enter the US in student status.

Prepare your Documents
Apply for an I-20 or DS-2019
Apply for your student visa

Step 1

Prepare your documents


Read more



Step 2

Apply for an

I-20 or DS-2019


Read more


Step 3

Apply for your

student visa


Read more




Step 1. Prepare your documents


Receive your admission letter (or electronic version) from NYU.

To be eligible for NYU sponsorship of F-1 or J-1 student status, you need to be accepted to a full-time academic program at NYU and have an official admission notice from NYU along with an NYU University ID number. You are not eligible for NYU sponsorship if your program of study consists of only online courses. If you are not yet admitted to NYU and have questions about how to apply, please visit NYU Admissions.



Activate your NYU NetID and NYU email.

  • If you don’t already know your NetID, learn your NYU NetID.
  • If you already know your NetID, go to to activate it.
  • Enter your NetID and click the “Start!” button.



Decide if you will apply for F-1 or J-1 status.

In order to study at NYU, you will need to obtain a student status for the US NYU sponsors international students for either F-1 or J-1 student status. Read about your options below and decide which status works best for you.

F-1 status is the most common type of status used to study in the United States. F-1 status is for full-time academic and language students who are pursuing a degree or certificate. If you decide on F-1 status, you will need to apply for an I-20.

If you plan to bring your spouse with you, he or she will need to obtain a F-2 dependent I-20 from NYU. F-2 dependents may not work in the US and may not enroll in school.

In order to be a J-1 student at NYU, at least half of your funding must come from a source other than personal or family funds. If you decide on J-1 status, you will need to apply for a DS-2019.

If you plan to bring your spouse with you, he or she will need to get a J-2 dependent DS-2019 from NYU. Please note that J-2 dependents may apply for work permission and may study in the US.



Step 2. Apply for an I-20 or DS-2019


Complete your I-20 or DS-2019 Application

Fill out the I-20/DS-2019 Application for Newly Admitted Students online. To access the application you will need to have your NYU ID number. This is the number you received from NYU that starts with "N" and is followed by 8 numbers, for example, N12345678. You will also need your NYUHome/email address password. Review the application checklist information to ensure you have all you need to successfully complete the online application.

In order to complete your application, you will need to have:

  • A copy of your NYU admission letter (an electronic version is fine)
  • A copy of the photo page of your passport
  • Financial documents that prove you can pay for the estimated expenses at NYU. To see the amount of money you will need to show for one year of your academic program visit this estimated expenses page. You must be able to pay for your tuition, fees, health insurance, and living expenses while at NYU.
    • You need to show proof that you can pay for the first year’s expenses. If your academic program is for less than a year, then provide proof that you can pay for all expenses for the duration of your program.
    • The kinds of financial documentation we accept at the OGS include:
      • Personal funds: a bank statement dated within the last six months.
      • A personal loan: a pre-approval letter confirming amount for which the loan is approved. A loan application is not sufficient.
      • An individual sponsor: the OGS Affidavit of Support plus a bank statement and/or letter from employer confirming annual salary and sponsor's position. (The sponsor's annual salary should be at least 3 times the amount of money they are providing to the student).
      • If you will be staying somewhere where you will receive free room and board: you need to provide a letter from who you are staying with indicating the amount of support they will provide for you and the duration of time you will stay with them. The value of room and board is estimated to be $10,000 per year.
      • An organizational sponsor: a copy of an award letter from a sponsoring organization specifying the amount of the award, its duration, and the terms of renewal, or NYU funding: a copy of an NYU award letter for an NYU scholarship, assistantship, or fellowship.

If you are coming to NYU for a short-term program, you should instead follow the directions you get from the NYU program admitting you. Examples of these programs include:

  • University Programs (for example, NYU Summer in NYC, January Term visiting students. Note: Fall and/or Spring in New York students CAN use this application)
  • Graduate Stern module programs (including TRIUM, Risk Management, and Business Analytics)
  • Exchange students at NYU for 1 or 2 semesters
  • Visiting students from NYU Abu Dhabi and Shanghai

Click here to get your application

*You must be logged into your NYU email account in order to access the application. If you're logged into your NYU account and you still have problems, please:

  • Make sure you have paid your tuition deposit to the NYU school you were admitted to.
  • If you have paid the deposit, wait 2 business days and try to access the application again at that time.
  • If you are still unable to access the application, please email Be sure to include your NYU ID number, NYU school of admission, and country of citizenship in your email message.



Save your application and supporting documents for your records.

  • Keep a photocopy of your I-20/DS-2019 Application and all attached documents for your records.
  • Keep a set of original financial documents to bring to your visa interview.



Receive your I-20/DS-2019.

Once we receive your application we will start working on your I-20 or DS-2019. We’ll email you if your application is missing anything so make sure to check your NYU email while you’re waiting for your document.

Approximately 2 weeks after submitting a complete application, you will receive your I-20 or DS-2019. Be sure to read all of the material we send you, as we will be sending you other important information you need to know!



Step 3. Apply for your student visa


Pay the SEVIS fee.

Once you’ve received your I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to pay a SEVIS fee to the US Department of Homeland Security. In order to pay, complete the Form I-901 along with the payment via mail or the Internet (dependents in F-2 or J-2 status are not required to pay the fee).The SEVIS fee must be paid at least 3 business days prior to a visa interview or the filing of the change of status application in the US. Learn more about the SEVIS fee.



Apply for and receive an F-1 or J-1 student visa.

Use your I-20 or DS-2019 issued by NYU to apply for your visa. Review these NAFSA tips on applying for a student visa, then apply for a student visa from a United States consulate in your country of citizenship or country of permanent residence. The application process includes a short interview in English, the application form DS-160 and the application fee.



Learn more about entering the US.

Once you have your F-1 or J-1 student visa, you can enter the US with your I-20 or DS-2019 and F-1 or J-1 visa. But remember, you can enter the US no more than 30 days before and no later than the beginning date indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019.

Read on to find out what you will need to do to successfully plan your trip to enter the US in F-1 or J-1 status.



Play list


You can also watch our YouTube video on Coming to the US to see an overview of the process.

NYU Footer