New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Bring Family

If you wish to bring family members for the duration of your studies, they will have to enter the US as F-2 or J-2 dependents. If you're a newly admitted student, and you want to bring family with you right away, you can add your family members' information to your I-20 or DS-2019 Application available from our Get a US Visa page. You won't need to do the things listed on this page unless you're already in the US, and you wish to bring family members after you've arrived.


Things to know

If your spouse will accompany you to the US, you must document an additional US$10,800 per year for living expenses and insurance. An additional US$5,400 is required for each child. US federal law requires the J-2 spouse and children to have adequate health insurance coverage. F-1 students are also expected to obtain comprehensive health insurance for dependents.


What to do

  • Visit the OGS. Bring the filled out form above, along with a copy of your family member's passport biography and photo page, your passport, I-94, and I-20 or DS-2019 to the OGS during walk-in advising hours. An OGS advisor will issue a document for your dependent, explain the process of obtaining an F-2 or J-2 visa, and review restrictions and regulations for dependents in F-2 and J-2 status.

Short Visits

If your spouse or child plan to only remain in the US for a short visit, please review the instructions on bringing a family member as a visitor to the US.

NYU Footer