New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Travel & Visitors


Going home for the summer or planning a trip for spring break? Want to invite family members for a visit? You can find everything you need to know on traveling and reentering the US as an F-1 or J-1 student and helping family members come for a visit. And remember, the US government determines your and any family member's eligibility to enter the US. Be prepared and have the needed travel documents with you.

Bon voyage!



Traveling somewhere?    

I-20 travel signature

Make sure you have a valid travel signature

  • Located on the bottom of page 3 of your I-20 (on the bottom of page 2 of I-20s issued on June 29, 2015 or later); OR bottom right of page 1 of your DS-2019.
  • For students, your travel signature is valid for 1 year (unless the end date on your I-20 or DS-2019 is sooner). For those on post-completion OPT or Academic Training, it is valid for 6 months.
  • Find out how to get a new travel signature.



Take these documents with you:

  1. Passport with F-1/J-1 visa
  2. I-20 or DS-2019
  3. SEVIS fee receipt
  4. Proof of financial support (this may include personal or family bank statements, any affidavit of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter)
  5. Enrollment verification

Renew your US Visa

Renew Your US Visa

Is your visa about to expire? Find out how to get a new one.
Read More

Get a Passport

Get a New Passport

Learn how to get a passport.
Read More


International Visitors

Have family visiting from outside the US? Check out what to do.
Read More

Canada, Mexico or Caribbean

Travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean

Information on traveling to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
Read More

Replace Lost Immigration Documents

Replace Lost Immigration Documents

Lose your passport, I-20, or DS-2019? Find out how to replace them.
Read More

I-94 Record

I-94 Record

Information on your arrival and departure record in the US.
Read More

Bring Family

Bring Family

Review requirements for bringing a spouse or child to the US.
Read More


Entered the US with an I-515A?

Didn’t have all your documents with you when you last reentered the US and were given entry with an I-515A? Within 30 days of your entry you must do all things listed on this I-515A Checklist to ensure your status stays legal.

NYU Footer