New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Employment & Tax

Make sure to explore your employment options based on your status as an F-1 or J-1 student. Once you get a job, make sure you get a Social Security Number (if you don't already have one). And don't forget about your tax responsibilities.



On Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment

Work at NYU as an F-1 / J-1 student.
Read More

Social Security Number

Social Security Number

Once you get a job, make sure you get a Social Security Number (SSN).
Read More



Who needs to file federal or state taxes, when and how.
Read More


Off-Campus Employment


OPT: Optional Practical Training

The most common type of authorization for F-1 students
Read More


CPT: Curricular Practical Training

If your academic program has an internship course or requirement
Read More

Other Employment

Other Off-Campus Employment

Academic training, economic need employment, or international organizations
Read More


Resources on working in the US

For free information on how to look for a job and advice on US-style resumes and cover letters, connect with the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development.



Thinking of starting your own business? If you're an F-1 student on OPT, you may be able to become a self-employed business owner in limited circumstances. Unfortunately, this type of advising is beyond our area of expertise. So, if you're serious about getting a business started, discuss your plans with an immigration attorney who works with a corporate attorney. See international students and entrepreneurship for more information about your options while you are in F-1 status. You can also find information on the US Citizenship and Immigration Services Entrepreneur Visa Guide which itemizes US visa options beyond F-1 and J-1 status. 




Upcoming Employment Events





NYU Footer