New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

B Visitor/Visa Waiver Program

B Visitor


New York University can make payments for honoraria as well as travel and subsistence to foreign nationals in B-1, B-2, WB (Waiver for Business), or WT (Waiver for Tourism) status as long as they meet certain criteria.


Honoraria may be paid to visitors who enter in B-1/B-2 or WT/WB status only if the academic activity does not exceed nine days.

Note : Foreign nationals cannot accept honoraria from more than five institutions or organizations within a six-month period.


Visitors who enter in B-1 or WB status may receive reimbursement for expenses for the duration of their visit. Receipts are required.

Visitors who enter in B-2 or WT status may receive reimbursement for up to nine days as long as the NYU visit does not exceed nine days. Receipts are required.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Scholars who visit the university for nine days or less and receive honoraria or reimbursement do not need social security numbers. Instead, they will be asked by the university to complete, among other papers, a W-7 form to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) necessary to file their tax returns.

NYU Footer