News & Publications
Publications and Flyers
- Villa La Pietra flyer (EN - PDF)
- Kingfisher flyer (PDF)
- The Samurai Armor flyer (PDF)
- The Tapestries of Villa La Pietra: Research and Conservation (PDF)
- The Saletta delle Rovine: Research and Conservation 2 (PDF)
- The Acton Photographic Archive (PDF)
- La Pietra: Florence, a Family, and a Villa(link)
Pubblicazioni e Opuscoli
- Villa La Pietra Opuscolo (PDF)
- Kingfisher Opuscolo (PDF)
- Gli Arazzi di Villa La Pietra: Ricerche e restauri (PDF)
- The Saletta delle Rovine: Ricerche e restauri 2 (PDF)
- Archivio fotografico Acton: Ricerche e restauri 3 (PDF)
The catalogue of the exhibition held in Florence, The Treasure Rooms, Collectors and Antique Dealers in Florence Between the 19th and 20th Centruy. (3 October 2011 - 15 April 2012) is available through Edizioni Polistampa.
This volume presents the eighteen tapestries of the Acton Collection, including production from Flanders, France and Italy from the sixteenth to the eighteenth centuries. The manufacture and historical context of each tapestry are discussed and illustrated. Insights gained from their conservation, past restorations, and technical qualities are included as well. Introductory essays situate the tapestries within the context of early twentieth-century Anglo-American collecting in Florence, and also describe New York University's approach to tapestry conservation in relation to past Florentine practice. The bilingual English and Italian book is available at Villa La Pipetra or for sale through the publisher Edifir.
The catalogue of the exhibition held in Florence, Federigo and the Workshop of the Angeli. Palazzo Davanzati: Dream and Reality, co-edited by New York University, is available through Sillabe.
The proceedings from the symposium on the international conservation efforts following the flood in Florence in 1966 are available through Archetype Publications.
The publication about Villa La Pietra and the Garden available through NYU Press.
Selected Publications by Sir Harold Acton
- Acton, Sir Harold. "Villa La Pietra: Sir Harold Acton's Florentine Aesthetic." Architectural Digest January 1990: 75-83.
- Acton, Harold. "An Anglo-Florentine Collection." Apollo 1965: 273-283.
- Acton, Harold. Memoirs of an Aesthete. London: Methuen, 1948.
- Acton, Harold. More Memoirs of Aesthete. New York: Viking Press, 1970.
Villa La Pietra in the News
- Richardson, Tim. "Set in Stone." Country Life July 2007: 58-62.
- Attlee, Helena. "A Garden with a View." New York Times Magazine. June 2004: 110-112.
- Mead, Andrew. "Italian Evergreen." AJ Landscape. February 2004: 28-36.
- Bachrach, Judy. "Florentine Mischief." Vanity Fair. December 2003: 258-280.
- Giovannini, Joseph. "As Befits an Old Villa, Restoration and Rumor." New York Times 11 December 2003.
- Traub, James. "Italian Hours." Travel and Leisure. July 2003: 84-90.
- Chaney, Edward. "Epilogue: Sir Harold Acton 1904-94." The Evolution of the Grand Tour. 1998: 377-382.
- Plante, David. "A Last Fantasy in Florence." The New Yorker. July 1995.
- Schultz, Patricia. "An Italian Idyll." Garden and Design Spring. 1987: 48-54.
- Lees-Milne, Alvide. "Sir Harold Acton 'Italy.'" The Englishman's Room. 1986: 9-10.