New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Before You Travel

Q: Do I need a visa to travel internationally?


Most countries require all non-citizens to obtain some kind of visa or entry permit in order to live, study, work, or intern in their country, even if it's only for a short time. Even if you believe that you do not need a visa, you may need to gather and present supporting documentation beyond what would normally be required of a tourist.

Before You Travel

Visa and Immigration Assistance

GlobalChek Plus: a self-service immigration application which will help users find specific and up-to-date visa and entry information for upcoming study away travel, extended business travel, or professional appointment/assignment travel. Please visit: Note: you must sign in using your NYU NET-ID email. For information on how to use GlobalChek Plus, please click here to watch our YouTube video tutorial, or click here to read our GlobalChekPlus FAQs.

CIBT: CIBT provides optional visa and passport application, processing, and expediting services. CIBT is a fee-based service provider, with discounted rates for NYU affiliates.

Cultural Awareness Resources

GlobeSmart is a web-based cultural awareness training tool providing a quick and easy access to extensive knowledge on how to engage in intercultural communication more effectively with people from countries around the world.
What is GlobeSmart, what can it do, and how do I get started?

  • Get started by visiting:
  • Register using your NYU NetID email address (you must use your or email address only)
  • Click the GlobeSmart Quick Launch or navigate to the Tools tab

*NOTE: GlobeSmart provides information for travel to all of NYU’s global locations, except for NYU Accra in Ghana. Travelers journeying to NYU Accra or other locations in Ghana can find similar information through Living Abroad.

Living Abroad is an online tool that provides comprehensive cultural and travel information for Ghana. To use the Living Abroad tool, simply complete the Living Abroad Access Form. NYU-Poly community members should contact for access.


Some countries require your passport to be valid up to 6 months beyond your expected date of departure. If you need to obtain or renew your passport:

  • U.S. Citizens: Information on passport application/renewal can be found on the U.S. Department of State website.
  • Non-U.S. Citizens: Contact the agency responsible for issuing passports for your home country.

Optional passport assistance services are available to NYU affiliates for a reduced fee through CIBT.

Before you travel, consider emailing yourself a copy of your passport's bio page and any visa(s) you may have obtained for you journey. This way, you'll be able to access copies of these documents from anywhere with an internet connection. Also, make photocopies of these documents and carry them with you while you travel.

Global Health Insurance

Global Health Insurance

Students on semester based programs outside the United States are automatically enrolled in global health insurance via HTH Worldwide. If traveling on a school-specific program, please check with your program administrator for information on global health insurance. Please visit for more information.
Read More

Contact Us

Outbound Immigration & Mobility Services

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
9:00am - 5:00pm EST

Walk-In Advising Hours for Outbound Students

Every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
1:00pm - 4:00pm  

Emergency Information

In addition to contacting local authorities, for overseas emergencies call NYU’s Department of Public Safety in New York at 011-212-988-2222. Public Safety regularly assists with international emergencies.

Info Alert: NYU has a website to provide updates on and detailed information about University operations when major events occur:

In the event the problem is medical or wellness related, the Crisis Response Counselor (CRC) on duty will be contacted. Each NYU Academic site has Health and Safety information posted on their page:

NYU Traveler

NYU Traveler is a web-based portal linked to NYU's travel safety service, Worldcue. All members of the NYU community should use this site to either make your travel arrangements or register travel plans made through other means. Please remember to book and/or register all NYU-related travel with NYU Traveler.

Travel Advisories and Warnings

Please visit Travel.State.Gov to learn of any travel advisories or warnings for your destination country.

NYU Footer