New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

International Travel

Q: Do I need a visa to travel internationally?


Most countries require all non-citizens to obtain some kind of visa or entry permit in order to live, study, work, or intern in their country, even if it's only for a short time. Even if you believe that you do not need a visa, you may need to gather and present supporting documentation beyond what would normally be required of a tourist.


Visa and Immigration Assistance

GlobalChek Plus: a self-service immigration application which will help users find specific and up-to-date visa and entry information for upcoming study away travel, extended business travel, or professional appointment/assignment travel. Please visit: Note: you must sign in using your NYU NET-ID email. For information on how to use GlobalChek Plus, please click here to watch our YouTube video tutorial, or click here to read our GlobalChekPlus FAQs.

CIBT: CIBT provides optional visa and passport application, processing, and expediting services. CIBT is a fee-based service provider, with discounted rates for NYU affiliates.

Additional Requirements for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are not a U.S. Citizen, you may be required to show evidence of your legal status in the United States, especially if you are applying for a visa from this country.

  • Examples of such evidence may include a valid I-20, DS-2019, J-1, H-1B, O-1, E-3, TN, etc.

If you plan to return to the United States after your time abroad: 

  • Faculty and Scholars: Contact NYU OGS Scholar Services before you travel. Please visit the scholars page for additional information.
  • Students: The ability to re-enter the U.S. following travel abroad is considered a benefit of F-1 or J-1 status. It is important that you comply with all immigration regulations and requirements. For an important overview of the travel requirements, review the OISS Travel Workshop by clicking here. You should also meeting with an Inbound International Student Advisor in OGS if you have questions about maintaining your immigration status while abroad.


Some countries require your passport to be valid up to 6 months beyond your expected date of departure. If you need to obtain or renew your passport:

  • U.S. Citizens: Information on passport application/renewal can be found on the U.S. Department of State website.
  • Non-U.S. Citizens: Contact the agency responsible for issuing passports for your home country.

Optional passport assistance services are available to NYU affiliates for a reduced fee through CIBT.

Before you travel, consider emailing yourself a copy of your passport's bio page and any visa(s) you may have obtained for you journey. This way, you'll be able to access copies of these documents from anywhere with an internet connection. Also, make photocopies of these documents and carry them with you while you travel.

Travel Advisories and Warnings

Please visit Travel.State.Gov to learn of any travel advisories or warnings for your destination country.

Contact Us

Outbound Immigration & Mobility Services

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
9:00am - 5:00pm EST

Walk-In Advising Hours for Outbound Students

Every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
1:00pm - 4:00pm  

NYU Footer