New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Before You Travel

NYU Berlin

Step 1: Make sure your passport is valid

Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months after the planned end date of your trip. If it's expiring soon, apply for a new one at your country's passport agency.

You should also have 2 blank pages available in your passport. Ask your country's passport agency to add additional pages for future travel visas.

U.S. Citizens: Information on passport application/renewal can be found on the U.S. Department of State website. You can also use CIBT - Expedited Visa and Passport Application/Processing Service. CIBT is a fee-based service provider, with discounted rates for NYU affiliates.

International Students: Contact the agency responsible for issuing passports for your home country.

Step 2: Find out if you need a visa

To find out if you need a visa for your upcoming trip, sign in to GlobalChek Plus from your NYU Home. You can find the link to GlobalChek Plus at the bottom left of the page after logging into NYU Home.

If your destination country is not listed, please enter your details on our immigration assistance request form. We will contact you to assist you further.

Helpful Links:

GlobalChek Plus FAQ

Step 3: If you need a visa, gather needed documents 

Visa requirements for all countries can be found on GlobalChek Plus via your NYU Home; You are responsible for collecting all required documents yourself, except;

  • Your health insurance documentation will be provided by NYU OGS. Students on semester-based programs outside the US are auto-enrolled in health insurance.
  • If you are working directly with us, we will provide you with any additional information and documents needed to apply for your visa.

Important note: Start immediately to have your documents ready at the time of your visa application. Some of the documents can take several weeks or months to obtain.

Step 4: Apply for and obtain your visa

You can either apply for a visa yourself or use the services of a visa expediter such as CIBT. Some countries will require you to apply for your visa at an in-person appointment, so set up an appointment early. In some instances, the date of your appointment may need to be within 90 days of your arrival.

International students: You must comply with all immigration requirements if you want to be able to return to the U.S. Review our information on study or research abroad for details. Also be sure you have all the documents you need to travel to and reenter the U.S.

International faculty and research scholars: Contact NYU OGS Scholar Services before you travel.

NOTE: While NYU will make every reasonable effort to assist and provide services related to outbound immigration, it is ultimately the sole responsibility of the traveler to pursue and obtain their passport and the appropriate visa for their trip purpose and destination(s).

Walk-In Advising Hours

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. 


Outbound Services

Travel Advisories and Warnings

Please visit Travel.State.Gov to learn of any travel advisories or warnings for your destination country.

NYU Footer