New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Bringing a Spouse or Child

If you wish to bring a family member for the duration of your studies, he or she will have to enter the U.S. as an F-2 or J-2 dependent.

If your spouse will accompany you to the U.S., you must document an additional US$10,800 per year for living expenses and insurance. An additional US$5,400 is required for each child. U.S. federal law requires the J-2 spouse and children to have adequate health insurance coverage. F-1 students are also expected to obtain comprehensive health insurance for dependents.

First make sure to fill out a Family Member Information Sheet. Please fill out this form in its entirety, and bring it, along with your I-20 or DS-2019, I-94 information, your passport, and copies of your spouse's and/or child's passport to the OGS during walk-in hours. An OGS advisor will issue a document for your dependent, explain the process of obtaining an F-2 or J-2 visa, and review restrictions and regulations for dependents in F-2 and J-2 status.

If your spouse or child plan to only remain in the U.S. for a short visit, please review the instructions on bringing a family member as a visitor to the U.S.

NYU Footer