New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

How to Get a New Visa

How to get a new visa promotional image
If your visa has expired and you're on OPT or Academic Training, you need to get a new visa from a U.S. consulate or embassy outside of the U.S. You can't apply for a new visa inside the U.S. Learn about the documents you need to compile for your new visa application from the U.S. government at Minimally, you'll need to have the following documents listed below.
To Better Prepare
Visit the website of the U.S. consulate you plan to apply at. You may also want to read the Department of State information on visa denials, and tips on how to apply for a visa. You can also review information on how to make a visa appointment and to check on visa wait times in the city you plan to apply. If you have applied for a visa and have been waiting for more than one month for the results of a security advisory opinion, be sure to let us know by emailing






An unexpired passport valid at least six months into the future.

I-20 or DS-2019

A valid I-20 or DS-2019, which has been signed for travel.
Proof of Financial Support Sample

Proof of Financial Support

Proof of financial support as reflected on the I-20 or DS-2019. This may include personal or family bank statements, affidavits of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter.
EAD and Employment Authorization Letter Samples

EAD or Employment Authorization Letter

An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) issued by the USCIS for F-1 students on practical training; or an employment authorization letter issued by the OGS for J-1 students on academic training.
Employer Letter Sample

Employer Letter

A letter from your employer stating your job title, job description, begin and end dates (must fall within the practical training period), and verifying that your employer knows you are traveling and expects you to return to complete your job.

NYU Footer