Procedure to Apply for Cap Gap I-20
Consult with your attorney or employer in order to ascertain your H-1B petition status and secure the documents you need to submit to the OGS.
Update your Employer Information and Address on our OPT Survey.
Please submit the following documents to the OGS via fax, mail, or email:
1. For a properly filed H-1B petition: A statement from the employer that the student is the beneficiary listed on a properly filed H-1B petition and proof of delivery to a USCIS Service Center showing the date of receipt.
For a receipted or approved H-1B petition: A copy of the Form I-797 and/or the I-797 receipt number.
Ask your employer or attorney if you are not certain which category you fall into if you are not sure.
2. An email or cover-letter stating:
- your employer's name and full address (what was used for your H-1 application)
- the date you started your employment with your H-1 employer
- your supervisor's name and contact number
- your job title
- your current mailing address, email address, and phone number
- copy of your current EAD
- a copy of your current I-94 record
- a copy of your current passport expiration/biography page/s
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. If you wish to have your Cap Gap I-20 sent to you and request this via email OR you want an adviser in the OGS to speak to your employer directly, you must complete this form and email/fax/mail the OGS the completed form.