Procedure to Apply for Cap Gap I-20
Consult with your attorney or employer in order to ascertain your H-1B petition status and secure the documents you need to submit to the OGS.
Please submit the following documents to the OGS via fax, mail, or email:
1. For a properly filed H-1B petition: A statement from the employer that the student is the beneficiary listed on a properly filed H-1B petition and proof of delivery to a USCIS Service Center showing the date of receipt.
For a receipted or approved H-1B petition: A copy of the Form I-797 and/or the I-797 receipt number.
Ask your employer or attorney if you are not certain which category you fall into if you are not sure.
2. An email or cover-letter stating:
- your employer's name and full address (what was used for your H-1 application)
- the date you started your employment with your H-1 employer
- your supervisor's name and contact number
- your job title
- your current mailing address, email address, and phone number
- copy of your current EAD
- a copy of your current I-94 record
- a copy of your current passport expiration/biography page/s
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. If you wish to have your Cap Gap I-20 sent to you and request this via email OR you want an adviser in the OGS to speak to your employer directly, you must complete this form and email/fax/mail the OGS the completed form.