New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Employment Options

If you wish to work after you complete your studies, you must apply for work authorization BEFORE your completion date. You may not work on campus after completing your studies, unless the position meets the requirements of Optional Practical Training or J-1 Academic Training.

F-1 students should read information about post-completion Optional Practical Training, and J-1 students should read the information about Academic Training to learn more about employment after graduation.

Need to report a change while on
post-completion OPT?

Update your address, employer, status information and more.

Click here.

Cap Gap Extension

Are you an F-1 student on post-completion OPT and your employer has filed an H-1B change of status on your behalf?

Learn about this special extension


Are you an F-1 student in one of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields?

Learn more to see if you qualify for the 17 month STEM OPT extension

NYU Footer