New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Family Visits

If you wish to invite family members, other than your spouse or child, to visit the United States for a short time on a B-2 visitor visa, you may provide them with the following:

  • Your personal invitation letter, which should include your name, school, relationship to the applicant, name of applicant, applicant’s place and date of birth, dates expected to visit the United States, duration of visit, preferred arrival date, and whether you will provide financial support for the applicant’s visit. Click HERE for a sample letter.
  • An NYU Certificate of Enrollment from the Registrar’s Office.
  • Copies of your I-20 or DS-2019, visa stamp, and I-94 card.
  • Copies of your proof of financial support, such as bank statements, NYU assistantship letters, and/or personal bank statements if you stated that you would provide financial support for the applicant during his/her stay in the U.S.

Note the following items:

An individual in B-1 or B-2 status is routinely admitted to the U.S. for a six-month period.

You do not need any letter or document from the OGS to invite a family member as a B-2 visitor.

NYU Footer