New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Documents to Carry

Documents to Carry Promotional Image


Are you an international student traveling outside of the U.S. soon? Need to reenter the U.S. without a problem? You can avoid a long wait in the airport immigration office by having these needed documents with you.




An unexpired passport valid at least six months into the future
I-20/DS-2019 Visual

I-20 or DS-2019 AND SEVIS Fee Receipt

An unexpired I-20 or DS-2019 with a travel signature less than one year old. Read "How to Get a Travel Signature" if you need to get a new signature on your I-20 or DS-2019. Make sure you also have a copy of your SEVIS Fee receipt with your I-20 or DS-2019.
Visa Stamp Photo Sample

F-1 or J-1 Visa Stamp

An unexpired F-1 or J-1 visa stamp valid for further entries into the United States (Citizens of Canada do not need an entry visa). Read "How to Get a New Visa" if your visa has expired and what you need to do to get a new one.
Proof of Financial Support Sample

Proof of Financial Support

Proof of financial support as reflected on the I-20 or DS-2019. This may include personal or family bank statements, affidavits of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter.
Employer Letter Sample

Enrollment Verification

Proof of full-time enrollment in the form of Enrollment Verification.

NYU Footer