New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Traveling and Reentering the U.S.

Going home for the summer or planning a trip for spring break?
Wherever you're going, a benefit of the F-1 or J-1 status is the ability to reenter the U.S. following travel. On this page, you'll find everything you need to know on traveling and reentering the U.S. on F-1 or J-1 status. Make sure to review the Basic Process section, especially Documents to Carry which tells you what you need to bring when you travel. If you're going to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean, check out our special circumstances section below. We want your travels to be as safe and smooth as possible.
Bon voyage!

Basic Process

Documents to Carry Promotional Image

Documents to Carry

What to bring when you travel internationally.
Travel Signature Photo Sample


How to get a travel signature

In NYC and outside of the U.S.


How to get a new visa promotional image


How to get a new visa

When your visa has expired and you're on OPT or Academic Training.

Special Circumstances

Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Promo Image


Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean

Special exceptions for F-1 or J-1 students and scholars.
OPT Promotional Image


Post Completion Travel

Everything you need to know for traveling while on OPT or Academic Training.
I-515A Promotional Image


Traveling with an I-515A

Read this section if you have an I-515A and need to leave again within 30 days.
NYU Footer