New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Transferring Out of NYU


If you are an F-1 student and wish to transfer to another school, you must request the OGS to release your SEVIS record to the new institution. Your transfer out request must be completed within sixty days of your last date of attendance at NYU.

Follow this process if you:

  • are enrolled at NYU and will not finish your current academic program but will instead pursue a program at another school
  • are on post completion optional practical training and are beginning a new program at another school
  • have completed your degree at NYU and are beginning a new program at another school

To request your SEVIS record transfer, come to the OGS during walk-in advising hours with the following five items:

  • A copy of the admission letter at your new school
  • A completed transfer form (available from the international student services office at your new school) OR the contact information of the new school's international student advisor and SEVIS school code of the new school)
  • Your passport
  • I-94 record

* If you are out of the country, please email

* If you are a new NYU student you must confirm with the OGS that your program start date (see “Program of Study” section for I-20s issued 6/29/15 and later) at your new school is within 30 days of your arrival to the U.S.

J-1 students sponsored by NYU who wish to transfer to another school must speak with an OGS advisor.

NYU Footer