New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Study or Research Abroad


F-1 Students:

If you are studying abroad, notify the OGS of your acceptance to an NYU study abroad program.

If you are conducting research abroad, provide the OGS advisor a letter of support from your academic advisor or director of graduate studies which confirms:

  • the timeframe you will be outside the U.S.,
  • the purpose of your research,
  • verify that you will pursue research on a full-time basis,
  • when you are expected to return to NYU,
  • what you will have remaining to do at NYU,
  • and your anticipated completion date.

Want to work right after you return to the U.S.?

You need to be physically present in the U.S. if you want to apply for any work authorization off-campus. Remember, it usually takes about 90 days to get authorization to work. If you think that you may want to work immediately after your coming back to the U.S., talk to an advisor at the OGS prior to leaving to discuss how you can make this possible.

Need a visa for where you will study?

Use GlobalChek Plus to find out what kind of visa to get and what documents you need to gather in order to get your visa. GlobalChek Plus is only available to students studying at one of NYU's academic sites outside of the U.S. Log into NYU Home and on the home page scroll down to find the log-in link for GlobalChek Plus. You can also review our frequently asked questions on how to use GlobalChek Plus.

Study or research abroad for F-1 purposes is approved for a maximum of one year at a time. If your plan is to study or research abroad beyond that timeframe, inform an OGS advisor when discussing your situation. Students who are studying or researching abroad more than two years may not be eligible to maintain F-1 status.

If the OGS advisor verifies your study or research plans meet the F-1 regulatory requirements, you must do the following to maintain F-1 status and benefits:

  • Register as a full-time student at NYU (full-time equivalency for graduate students conducting research)
  • Maintain a U.S. local address – updates may be done through “Albert”
  • Obtain an OGS travel signature on your I-20 before departing the U.S.
  • Inform the OGS of the approximate date you will depart the U.S.
  • Continue to check your NYU email while you are outside of the U.S. It's the only way we would contact you if there is any issue with your immigration record.
  • Inform the OGS at least two months prior to your return to the U.S.
  • Check your F-1 entry visa to see if it will be valid when you plan to return to the U.S. If you need to apply for a new visa, follow the procedure listed at
  • Present your immigration documents to the OGS for review upon return to NYU

Note: This information does NOT apply to J-1 students. There are immigration restrictions that impact the ability of J-1 students who wish to study or research abroad. J-1 students who wish to research or study abroad must contact an OGS advisor directly for guidance.

students at a restaurant

Preparing to Live in a Different City

Learn more about the culture, customs, and people of where you're about to study.
Read More

NYU Footer