New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Change of Program


If you change programs to a higher degree level or you complete one degree program and will pursue another at NYU then you must apply for a "change of program" with the OGS.

J-1 students sponsored by NYU who will change programs must speak with an OGS advisor once admitted to a new program.

F-1 students sponsored by NYU must apply for a new I-20. You should apply for a new I-20 after you are admitted to a new program and in the semester before the new program begins.

To apply for a new I-20, you must submit the following to the OGS:

  • A brief cover letter with your name, NYU ID number, the date by which you will complete your current program, the new program you will pursue, and if you plan to travel outside the U.S. prior to the start of the new program.
  • Updated financial documentation demonstrating you have sufficient liquid assets to cover all your expenses for the first year of study in your new program. Click here for a list of estimated expenses. The new financial documents must be in English (or have a certified English translation attached to the original) and should be issued within the past 6 months. If you have F-2 dependents, you must document an additional $10,800 for your spouse and $5,400 for each child.
  • I-94 record
  • If another individual (such as a family member) will sponsor you, that person must submit an affidavit of support in addition to proof of his or her funding ability. If more than one account holder name is listed on the financial documents you submit, then each account holder must submit a signed affidavit of support.

You may submit your application to the OGS by mail, fax (212-995-4115), or you may submit it to the OGS receptionist in person. Write your name and student ID number on all items submitted. An OGS advisor will review your application and will contact you in the event that further information is required.

NYU Footer